Local Man drowns at Jackson Blue Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karstdvr, you make some excellent points. And not everyone approaches this stuff the same way. I had a good cave instructor (still do). And I talked to a lot of cavers before I took my course. I took full cave (had done cavern already) and learned a ton from it. I accepted my intro card, and have not been back in the caves since. Slowly, I will build my experiences until I feel comfortable going a bit further.

I don't understand the mindset that forces people to try to do these big dives without the training to complete them safely. I fear Mike is right. We are cheapening dive training to the point where people no longer have the requisite "fear" or perhaps respect for the environment they are going into.

And I suspect business is going to pick up for the recovery teams. It's a real shame.

People often do things that are against their better judgement, like drive a car while under the influence of some substance (legal or illegal) that impairs their abilities or without adequate sleep. They 'do it all the time', 'they know what they are doing', 'they know their limits', 'nothing ever happened to me yet', ...

The more times the limit is pushed the more complacent one becomes. Then inevitably something happens and someone is dead or seriously injured.

Pilots are taught to give thunderstorms a wide berth. In reality airline pilots fly closer than recommended day in and day out without incident. Then one day one of them just gets too close and a lot of people die. I often think of the accident where the Delta (I think) jet got caught in a downdraft on landing at DFW in the late 80s I think. Two planes in front of it went through the storm and it was just :03 minutes behind them, but it didnt make it.

Anyway, we could all examine ourselves and learn from these types of situations. I suspect that we all have some area where we have a habit of pushing the limits a bit.

Willie

Excellent point! I'll admit that I push limits sometimes- your post is certainly a wake up call to get back to basics, and remember the purpose of those limits and guidelines. I remind myself that it only takes one bad dive in a lifetime.

Unfortunately a plane crashes because a pilot pushed a limit,then people are back in the sky the next day going from point A to Point B. The general public accepts these risks and considers flying important part of day to day life. When we have a lot of accidents,and the public considers our sport too dangerous,then we lose access.

deepstops:
Interesting to see they're thinking about pressing charges against the buddy.
It doesnt say that, thats the reporters editorializing. While anyone can sue anyone for anything, and they do, nothing was illegal here and it sounds like the guy knew what he was getting himself into. Which isnt to say the cave diver did anything smart. This is another lesson to all of us to be smarter.

I dont think this was pushing limits,more like completely ignoring them. A diver for 20 years and "frequently" went cave diving? Why did he not bother getting cave certified? Not exactly hard to find instruction in that part of the world.

600 feet in and wearing doubles? Thats not an OW diver wandering in a little too far by accident.

I am going to be at Jackson Blue next week starting a Full Cave course. I love the place.Hope I can always dive there.

jviehe:
It doesnt say that, thats the reporters editorializing. While anyone can sue anyone for anything, and they do, nothing was illegal here and it sounds like the guy knew what he was getting himself into. Which isnt to say the cave diver did anything smart. This is another lesson to all of us to be smarter.
Assumptions on both our parts.

JCFloridan:
As for ******'s diving partner ******, whether or not he will face any charges has yet to be determined, pending investigation.

That might be editorializing or it might have been something Sheriff McDaniel said to the reporter.

I agree there was nothing criminal here and also agree it sounds like he (the victim) knew the risks involved.

deepstops:
Assumptions on both our parts.

That might be editorializing or it might have been something Sheriff McDaniel said to the reporter.

I agree there was nothing criminal here and also agree it sounds like he (the victim) knew the risks involved.
Working in legal myself, what it means is they will rule out any criminal activity first (ie did the buddy possibly do a crimal act causing the death or knowing his buddy was in trouble did he fail to act resulting in a manslaughter situation) - this just rules out any questions the public or community have about the dive buddy, especially since he works in a shop there. It is common practice in most law enforcement agencies to do the investigation as though it was a homicide/murder etc first. Then move on the the next, which could be suicidal, accident, etc. The media has a tendency to "over dramatize" for the sake of keeping the publics interest and awareness.

That aside it appears he should not have been diving in that situation.

My condolances to everyone (Family, Friends, Rescue Team) I'll be lifting you up in my prayer time.
Numbers 6:24-26 "The LORD bless you and keep you;
25 The LORD make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you;
26 The LORD lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace."'

Journey On,
Scubacoots3

Back
Top Bottom