Little girls and makeup

Am I an old fuddy duddy?

• Yes, get with it.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • No more than I am.

Votes: 104 86.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It probably wont make you very popular (the no make-up rule at daycare) but man, you are sooo right to be mad (or annoyed at the very least). I feel very lucky that my girls (10 and 15) aren't into the make-up scene and if one of them came home from school with that crud on their face because a teacher "decided" they wanted to play mommy with my kids, I'd blow a gasket!

I'm not a make-up wearer at all so my girls aren't really exposed to it. I want them to grow up know how gorgeous they are in the raw. Plain beauty is a rare find anymore these days.
Starting now at three is excellent. I use to have family members buying my wee wuns the fake make-up crap when they were little, it certainly didn't make me very popular when I expressed my concerns and refused to allow my girls to have any of it, but I believe by doing so, they never got caught up in the realm of "NEEDING" make-up to be beautiful.

Good on ya!

you people think you have soooo much control over your daughters.

(do you want a daughter who can be controlled?)

I am just advising you to relax. But..hey, I could be wrong..I've never been a parent before. She's 17 and it's all good.

DSC_0001.jpg

I love being a mother, I love for her to be free to express herself.

I use to have family members buying my wee wuns the fake make-up crap when they were little
they were so lucky to have relatives that wanted to make them happy...some people don't have that.

Painting your child to put her on display for pageants and stuff is one thing, and pretty creepy in my book.

Putting on makeup for fun, though, is just another way of playing dress up. I loved to play dress up when I was a kid! When we were allowed to play with makeup, the results were pretty awful, but we had loads of fun.

Also, my sisters are all older than me, so when they were putting on makeup for real, I was getting dressed up, too. Yes, I was their living doll, and yes, I had loads of fun. No, I am not scarred for life.

I wear hardly any makeup at all now, go figure. :)

They probably should have washed it off of her, though. Not to keep the fact that they did it from you, but sending her out in public like that is kind of inappropriate, in my opinion.

"We people" believe that "we" have the best interest in mind for "our" daughters. They DO need to be strong, independent, individual women--able to make their own decisions--and mistakes.

The original post does talk about a 3yr. old versus the teenage girls. Nonetheless, yes, I do believe that some parental control EVENTUALLY will result in the daughters becoming women with their own sense of SELF control, SELF discipline, and SELF respect. Excuse me to all the younger board members, but a teenager does NOT have all the same ability to "know what's best" as do the adults that love them.

At age 16, my parents were the most stupid people on the planet. I can't believe how smart they were once I turned 21. Now in my 40's, they are some of the wisest people I know!

k4man:
" Excuse me to all the younger board members, but a teenager does NOT have all the same ability to "know what's best" as do the adults that love them.

Exactly....

Kids are faced with so many challenges today. I've raised my daughters all alone. To date, I have a 15 year old with a 4.0 GPA wanting to be a doctor. She brilliant, beautiful, and has yet to be a victim of the fashion world society. I love watching her strength and independence shine. She's also a cheerleader and very popular (even without the make-up). She has developed her own personality. My 10 year old is a tom-boy like me, who is equally as strong and brilliant as her older sister.

At 15, my daughter would most likely be able to handle the "reaction" she may get from wearing make-up (which ultimately would make her appear older), but why take a chance if she isn't complaining. I don't think I'm prude, I just want my children to be safe and enjoy being kids.

You don't let your child go in the street to get the ball, just because they want the ball..

baitedstorm:
You don't let your child go in the street to get the ball, just because they want the ball..

:wink:

Catherine,

I have to agree with you!! Mine are only 6 & 7, but they love playing with makeup. I am not a girly girl and go without make up a good deal of the time. They know it is not acceptable for anything but play... but come on...let them be girls. They love to prance around the house in my high heels with fancy hats and feather boas. Do I think this means they're headed to a life of street walking... no.... they're just having fun. They'll grow out of it, I'm quite sure.

And it's hard to let them be the opposite of who you are sometimes.

I was sort of just suggesting that maybe the day care lady had good intentions, and that maybe it is more important to have someone who cares engaging with them...

That's the problem with day care..nobody is going to do it just like you would.

well its.. 3 to 50! :wink:

catherine96821:
(do you want a daughter who can be controlled?)

Yes, while she is in my home, and until she turns 18.

catherine96821:
I've never been a parent before.
catherine96821:
I love being a mother

:confused:

Sorry if that confuses you.

I think there might be some regional differences at play here.

Staying home with your kids is always an option we have, as mothers, especially if the day care lady gives you the creeps. Three year olds can't tell you a whole lot, which is why I did not leave mine. (I thought that was more important than the "somebody might play make-up with her")

My daughter does all that, honor role, well-adjusted, etc in a prep school of 3, 900. Which just goes to prove you can raise great kids with both philosophies.

I guess this thread should have just included the "Yea...Down With Day Care Lady!!! She is probably a pervert!!"

Another opinion seems to be bringing out some really strong responses, sort of a Jon Benet hangover.

I'm feeling a little defensive about my opinion that "its not such a big deal, in the scope of life"

My main point is that when you are feeling upset about your day care person, you should reflect on why. If she was the best, most loving, attentive day care lady that you could ever find, would you still feel so strongly about the make-up incident?" hey..maybe it really is that simple for you. I thought it was discussion.

Your feelings could be a sign that something "doesn't feel right", beyond the specifics of the incident.

Discipline is important, but for those of you emphasizing how much control you have
Yes, while she is in my home, and until she turns 18.
I hope you acknowledge there will always be girls for whom this fuels their desire to "slip the collar". I guess it depends on the personality types of the daughters/ parents and even your region's sense of morality.

Back
Top Bottom