Little girls and makeup

Am I an old fuddy duddy?

• Yes, get with it.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • No more than I am.

Votes: 104 86.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I think little girls are naturally drawn to these girly things, and don't see it as sexual. We might have that in our heads. Anyway, girls that are happy in their skin are the most confident. I believe in always telling them they are beautiful, with it or without it. My daughter went through a phase of too muck black eye liner and I really bit my tongue. The phase passed.

I always tried to not make a big deal about the dress-up thing...girls have been doing it for years, just like boys want to play cowboy, cops and robbers. Decorating the body goes back centuries. Just my opinion, know I am alone on it usually.

If his daughter was 4 or 5 years old, I would agree with you to an extent. But he said in the original post that she will be "3 years old in a couple of months." I don't believe for a millisecond that a girl that young has the mental capacity yet to know what "playing dress-up" means. I would think she would be barely old enough to know what playing with dolls is all about.

Like Desert Diver, I'm raising my 9 year old daughter alone, and so far there's no make-up on her yet. I neither encourage, nor discourage it. But when the time is right, I'll consult the experts. There some things some fathers just can't teach little girls like how to apply the correct thickness of eyeliner, or just what is the right shade of eye makeup? And is silver really the new blue?

Want to get really creeped out? Check out the contestants in "Little Miss Sunshine."

Charlie99:
Depends if it was "face painting" or a beauty makeover.

Eye shadow and fingernail polish, not face paint.

ScubaTexan:
If his daughter was 4 or 5 years old, I would agree with you to an extent. But he said in the original post that she will be "3 years old in a couple of months." I don't believe for a millisecond that a girl that young has the mental capacity yet to know what "playing dress-up" means. I would think she would be barely old enough to know what playing with dolls is all about.

Yes, she will be three in March. She's just started playing with dolls, but doesn't yet care about doll clothes. 'Course, at this stage her dolls have molded-on clothes.

Leave the makeup off of children....ESPECIALLY other people's children...good Lord!!

I think the entire idea of makeup is pretty strange. Kinda like a man lying about his bank account.

Perfume? I'd rather smell clean skin ANYDAY!

:D

Heck, I'm not a big fan of makeup on women (I prefer the natural look)... and definitely not on young kids. A three year old? What were they thinking?

You are not...."fuddy-duddy".
No makeup for childrens, natural beauty is better

i'd have a problem with the makeup too

girls are more than a pretty face. it's never too early to start teaching girls that they are far more than their looks. emphasizing makeup at such an early age just reafirms the message that their identity is all about looking good

eventually, i assume, they'll get into boys and makeup, but at least they'll do that on their own

catherine96821:
Anyway, girls that are happy in their skin are the most confident. I believe in always telling them they are beautiful, with it or without it.

That's part of the reason I have a problem with it. I do not like the teacher telling our little girl "Come her and lets put this on your eyes. Look how Pretty!"

I need a couple more years of telling her how smart and beautiful she is before she starts hearing that she 'needs' that stuff.

well, she needs to hear that she's smart, able, clever, funny, good at riding a pony, and an awesome smores fixer as well

just my .02

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom