Little girls and makeup

Am I an old fuddy duddy?

• Yes, get with it.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • No more than I am.

Votes: 104 86.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
When I picked up my daughters from daycare this PM I thought our oldest had a bruise, but on closer inspection I found that one of her teachers had been painting the little girls up with eye shadow and fingernail polish. After a count to 10 I told the teacher that my wife and I had some strong feelings regarding makeup on children, and asked her not to do it again.

My daughter will be 3 years old in a couple of months.

So, am I just an old fuddy duddy?

BTW, this poll and your comments will not change my attitude, I just wanted to take the pulse of our community.

Even when I was 20yrs old, I always though putting makeup on little girls was creepy. Same with the little girl beauty pageants. Of course, there is a subculture that revels in this stuff.

NO,
You are not a fuddy duddy. You kids are your kids and those decisions are to be made by the parents. My 5 yr old girl as been painting her nails, that is fine, only once has she had eye shadow/lipstick on(cheerleading photo)
My mother in law called me one day, asked whether or not I wanted the gold or silver studs in my daughters ears since they were about to get her ears pierced, she was 1 at the time, I told her that I would break my father in laws legs if she gets her ears pierced before her 16th birthday!
We need more old school and less britney spears these days!
That teacher and the front office would have heard plenty from me. Of course, when I walk into the office at my kids school, they ladies roll their eyes. For some reason? I dont like the level of education my kids get, and I let them know about it, shame on me!

Read the book "Cheaper by the Dozen" if you haven't already. My oh my I love that book. (and hate the fact that someone would make a movie with the same title but so different from the book. I wouldn't watch that movie for anything less than a thousand dollars, and that has to be paid in cash, upfront.)

Infact, I am of a dating age and I think anything other than light makeup doesn't look very good. If a girl has a problem with acne, then ok, maybe use some, but heck, just go to your dermatologist and get some medicine, it actually gets rid of it, rather than covering it up. I like girls to have pierced ears but they don't need to always wear something in it. My daughters (if I ever have any, I'm only 17!) will not be getting their ears pierced early, will not be wearing makeup before their teen years, and they will not be wearing miniskirts (I don't get it, I actually really love the look of a full length skirt on a girl, no lie!), midriffs will not be shown, they will not be dating unless I've met the guy and know him pretty well, and they will never have "short" hair. I'm ok with some short hair but nothing too boyish. I want my daughters to be pretty, not ****ty!

That said, I have been known to get my hair braided (my hair isn't that long though), paint my nails and use eyeliner for musical shows, and I have no problem with makeup for stage performances :)

No, you are not a "fuddy-duddy".
You set the boundaries within which you wish your children to be reared.
Those who act "in loco parentis", especially when hired, should abide by YOUR tenets.

the K

I have way too much to say about this subject, but in short, I am absolutely against putting make-up on kids all the way up to age 16.. (it can take the innocence out of a child)
that's enough for now, but i would talk to who ever hired that teacher and make it clear that not all folks like what that teacher might think is innocent child's play.

oops...I am in the minority.

I think little girls are naturally drawn to these girly things, and don't see it as sexual. We might have that in our heads. Anyway, girls that are happy in their skin are the most confident. I believe in always telling them they are beautiful, with it or without it. My daughter went through a phase of too muck black eye liner and I really bit my tongue. The phase passed.

I always tried to not make a big deal about the dress-up thing...girls have been doing it for years, just like boys want to play cowboy, cops and robbers. Decorating the body goes back centuries. Just my opinion, know I am alone on it usually.

I was raising my kids by myself (one girl, one boy). I had to leave for work about 15 minutes before the school bus came through our neighborhood. One day, I left some papers that I was reviewing the night before on the kitchen counter. Didn't realize it until I was about half way to work. When I got home, I met Least Daughter coming out of the front door. She was wearing so much makeup, I was convinced she had put it on with a trowel. Omitting all of the screaming and shouting, I ended up telling her to go wash her face or I was going to take it off with a belt sander. When she was 16 I took her into one of those fancy stores where they retread women's faces. I told them I would buy their makeup if they taught Least Daughter the proper way to apply it with the additional caveat that I shouldn't be able to tell she was wearing makeup.

It worked. <shrug>

art

soudan:
I have way too much to say about this subject, but in short, I am absolutely against putting make-up on kids all the way up to age 16.. (it can take the innocence out of a child)
that's enough for now, but i would talk to who ever hired that teacher and make it clear that not all folks like what that teacher might think is innocent child's play.

I'm with you on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom