Little girls and makeup

Am I an old fuddy duddy?

• Yes, get with it.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • No more than I am.

Votes: 104 86.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I'm feeling a little defensive about my opinion that "its not such a big deal, in the scope of life"

I enjoy reading your opinion. It helps me to better see both sides of the story with a different perspective. I applaud you for standing up for your beliefs.

I'm thinking the make-up issue probably isn't as important as the teacher taking it upon herself to make up another persons child. Where does it stop? Where are the limits? I've seen a child with a sad face drawn on his hand with sharpie marker. This was the teachers form of punishing him and making sure mom and dad knew. What the teacher failed to understand, that sad face stayed on his hand for days. This is abuse in my opinion. I know.... far cry from putting a little make-up on a little girl, but lets investigate that a little deeper. If the teacher had applied it to someone’s son (the kid just wanted the same attention as the little girls) would it still be a light and airy subject.

It's hard enough to leave your child when you must work. Our hopes as parents are that our children will be cared for in a safe environment that will encourage growth. At three years old, a child’s psychological development is in overdrive. The things they are taught and exposed to during the first five years will become a large part of who they are and who they will become. I stand convicted with my opinion in hand, the teacher had absolutely NO right to put make-up on any child without prior permission. What seems innocent to one person, may be a crime to another. A simple permission slip home would have avoided all of this. The teacher was out of line.

I've seen a child with a sad face drawn on his hand with sharpie marker.

I agree completely. Yuk...that would light my fire.

So..you don't think this harsh perspective about make-up is a "Bible Belt" thing?

I barely survived it...so maybe I have baggage!

Sometimes hoping is not enough...with a three year old. I guess I am not a fan of leaving three year olds, even if you will have less money, but it is a personal decision and I would never tell someone they should do what I do.

I just have seen so many girls go wild and over the top...almost driven to it with this "my daughter, my rules, until 18" attitude." The reason I say regional differences, is that if you are in West Va (for example) and the other parents are all saying this to their daughters...it might not be resented as much being mainstream, than if you take that stance in LA or Honolulu or NYC. (and I am a conservative)

But we are talking about two differnt things, the OP's situation, and the general attitude with "our girls" aren't we? I think that has confused Tonka. You know men don't multi as well as women. We can talk about two issues simultaneously and understand that, but men don't always follow that.

My heart went out to the men raising daughters alone. I thought they had some great ideas, and seemed to be loving fathers and making the effort to meet the needs of girls growing into women. (in fact, they may actually do a BETTER job not being so confident that they know everything)

catherine96821:
...You know men don't multi as well as women. We can talk about two issues simultaneously and understand that, but men don't always follow that...

I'm sorry, what was that....

I'm too busy doing laundry, talking on the phone with a buddy, typing on ScubaBoard with FEMALE multitasking board members, AND working on an online podcast assignment for a grad class.

Your school was way out of line. My kids are 3 and will be 4 the end of March. They have had "lipstick" (aka chap-stick) and on a couple of occasions nail polish. When I say they here I mean all of them, even my boy. I will also say that this is much more the doing of my ex and her family, not me. Obviously there isn't a sexual component to it but rather a fun way of being like mom and/or playing dress up. A year ago, they were playing dress up and I was even the ones who bought my girls the frilly little princess dresses(my boy got a fireman outfit) and they still love to play dress up. But, all this is being decided on and approved by the parents and not the school. I don't have a magic age in mind where I will let my girls wear real makeup but right now I'm leaning toward 30 or so. LOL

Incidentally my ex does wear to much makeup, always has as I prefer the natural look too. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with getting all gussied up but I think it should not be a requirement just to leave the house.

Make up shouldn't be shared anyway. Germs and all that. Sorry if that has been posted already. I didn't feel like wading through all the responses. :D

I'm sorry, what was that....

no slam against men. I think it's a scientific fact that women multi task much better in general. More prominant corpus colosum...simulataneous use of both hemispheres. I have always heard the scientific community thinks this might be why more genius is found in men, throughout the ages. They have a more focused unifocal brain activity.

But..I could be wrong. (or maybe you are a deviation? :11: )

good point about cooties, Fairy!

I need to stop that.

catherine96821:
...no slam against men. I think it's a scientific fact that women multi task much better in general. More prominant corpus colosum...simulataneous use of both hemispheres...

:confused: duh, slam away, Catherine96821, duh:confused:

uz men kinda folk don't no alwaize watz u womenz r talkin bout no how

culd u sayz it en plane engalish?

:14: :14: :14:

we are different animals.

catherine96821:
no slam against men. I think it's a scientific fact that women multi task much better in general. More prominant corpus colosum...simulataneous use of both hemispheres. I have always heard the scientific community thinks this might be why more genius is found in men, throughout the ages. They have a more focused unifocal brain activity.

Actually the research indicates that even accounting for the differences in size and weight, men have a more massive brain, with a significantly greater number of grey cells. A substantial review paper performed a meta-analysis of 49 studies and found, contrary to de Lacoste-Utamsing and Holloway, that males have a larger corpus callosum, a relationship that is true whether or not account is taken of larger male brain size.[1] Bishop and Wahlstein found that "the widespread belief that women have a larger splenium than men and consequently think differently is untenable." There is no evidence that females multi task better than men.

Your daughter is very beautiful, like you! I think that men and women bring different parenting skills to the table, and that both are necessary to the well being of the child.

BTW I raised my daughter in San Francisco and Seattle.

:D

hey..at least you know I wasn't googling!

come on...at least admit that women multitasking better than males is highly suspected!

I thought it was because they watched children while gathering and such?

and I thought this was confirmed on PET scans? (showing more bilateral activity)

lol
BTW I raised my daughter in San Francisco and Seattle.

okay...note to self: don't profile Tonka as an Appalachian. (I was one too)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom