Little girls and makeup

Am I an old fuddy duddy?

• Yes, get with it.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • No more than I am.

Votes: 104 86.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a father of a 6 year old boy and a four year old girl. My girl idolises the daughter of close family friends (16yo) and lets her make her up and paint her nails. This drives me up the wall as i consider it totally inappropriate behaviour only to be told to get with it. So i have huge sympathy with u

Diving Doc:
I am a father of a 6 year old boy and a four year old girl. My girl idolises the daughter of close family friends (16yo) and lets her make her up and paint her nails. This drives me up the wall as i consider it totally inappropriate behaviour only to be told to get with it. So i have huge sympathy with u

what I did in that situation was ask myself "is the 16 y/o great in the important ways? if the answer is yes, then you are in good shape. They will play make-up and your daughter will emulate her "other" qualities. Which, is a good deal for you. Part of parenting, I think is choosing your battles and being crafty and manipulative when you choose who they are around.

catherine96821:
.... and being crafty and manipulative when you choose who they are around.
and introduce her to a activity that needs strength, stamina, smarts and where its legal to carry a knife. :wink:

almitychild is less of a princess when she is hauling gear & diving... all her shopping friends are elsewhere

catherine96821:
hey..at least you know I wasn't googling!

come on...at least admit that women multitasking better than males is highly suspected!

I thought it was because they watched children while gathering and such?

and I thought this was confirmed on PET scans? (showing more bilateral activity)

lol

okay...note to self: don't profile Tonka as an Appalachian. (I was one too)

Your posts are always among the very best on ScubaBoard!
From a fellow well travelled Appalachian.
:D

lol. thanks, Tonka

almitychild, he he...works till about 15.5--then you need a new trick, almity, don't ya think?

my "you can pump my gas" is just now wearing off.

I have to agree with Catherine on this.

I don't know what was going on in the daycare, but I do know that during the day the teachers are often looking for things that keep the kids engaged. To a 3 year old putting on make up or finger painting is probably pretty much the same thing.

This is probably one of those things that makes parents uncomfortable but to kids, it's just something fun to do. I think we project a lot of our insecurities and fears on our children.

Recently someone I was talking with said she was glad she wasn't growing up now. I asked why, she said because it is so dangerous for kids these days and they have to grow up so fast. I politely pointed out that, frankly, that is simply not true. Kids in the US today are the safest most protected kids at any time in human development, so much so, that they now take longer to mature. Recent research shows that 30 or 40 years ago someone was pretty much as mature as they were going to get at 18 or 20. Today the same level of maturity takes about 26 years to attain.

Okay, got a little off the subject there.

If that had been my daughter Sammi when she was 3, I would have asked her if she liked it and gotten a read on what she really thougtht of it and taken it from there.

Of course, now 11 years old, Sammi is more concerned with her soccer stats (she was just asked to try out for the Olympic Development Program) and getting her advanced open water certification.

Jeff

articulated nicely.

whats your line of work? oh...I just looked. I was wondering how you know the stats about maturity. It makes sense, because our kids are leaving later and later...getting married later etc.

Kids should stay kids as long as possible. Making them up to be a beauty queen is not part of growing up at that age.

catherine96821:
articulated nicely.

whats your line of work? oh...I just looked. I was wondering how you know the stats about maturity. It makes sense, because our kids are leaving later and later...getting married later etc.

Former journalist, too.

J.

Back
Top Bottom