LDS won't viz my tank...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He´s an unrealistic dink, take your business elsewhere.

An option not mentioned is to buy a trans-fill whip and fill the pony yourself from your standard tank and screw the VIP. I tend to do this with my pony tanks as they are emptied often for travel and I don't want to bother with a VIP, I just check with a flash light that they are clean and put the tank in a tub to make sure the valve does not leak. Remember, the VIP is an industry standard, nothing more.

Buy yourself some VIP stickers from LP and do you viz yourself. Its crazy to pay your lds 10 bucks or more to shine a light in the tank take a look and screw your valve back in.

Take it to your local fire dept. or another filling station. These guys have always given me a pain in the ***.

Buy yourself some VIP stickers from LP and do you viz yourself. Its crazy to pay your lds 10 bucks or more to shine a light in the tank take a look and screw your valve back in.

If it's aluminum, it would be nice to have an eddy current test to look for neck cracks. Personally, I'm allergic to violent explosions and giant chunks of shrapnel.

Also, generic VIP stickers are worth pretty much nothing unless you're doing your own fills.

flots.

Last edited:
Take it to your local fire dept. .

Apparently here in Ontario that is not an option, Fire Services filling non-firefighter tanks is an insurance liability or some such thing.

1. So the LDS has agreed to make "an exception" for you, and you're still "upset" ?
2 - You also want to save "about $20" on a hose. Go ahead and save "about $20". Who is going to put the hose on your rig and test it for you ? Point here is your LDS, whilst a few bucks more, would probably take care of this for you, and make sure you rig is ready to dive. Or is Dive Gear Express going to fly out and do this for you ? Yes that was sarcastic, with no ill will towards Dive Gear Express, as I am a customer of theirs, great place !
3 - Did you attempt to buy the tank at the same LDS first ?
4 - All of this over a couple of bucks ?
Not that hard to put a hose on your rig and test it. I'm about as non-mechanical as they come and even I can replace a hose, after watching my husband do it a few times.

If it's aluminum, it would be nice to have an eddy current test to look for neck cracks.

Don't start a 6351/6061 fight. Anyone paying for eddy current on a 6061 is a tool.

Don't start a 6351/6061 fight. Anyone paying for eddy current on a 6061 is a tool.

Our tank guy finds neck cracks in AL tanks a couple of times a year, and they're not all the "bad" alloy.

flots.

Our tank guy finds neck cracks in AL tanks a couple of times a year, and they're not all the "bad" alloy.

flots.

Luxfer claims that those are false positives.

"After the introduction of eddy-current technology, Luxfer received reports of cracking in 6061-alloy cylinders. We accepted returns on about 1,200 of these cylinders to conduct extensive tests. Not a single cylinder was found to be cracked.
On Luxfer 6061-alloy cylinders, eddy-current devices sometimes show harmless "indications" that lead to "false-positive" readings for SLC."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom