Ad-Hoc Tank Blending Risk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep ! I've had tanks marked air and when tested had nitrox in them. Never a % to do much harm and probably because the air banks were low for a top-off so they used the full Nitrox banks instead. But when there's any type of accident the lawyers all look for who made any kind of mistake to lay partial blame on. As said above, Just establish a Rhythm and do all the tanks the same way and you'll be covered doing it correctly.

Had a well known dive shop in Marathon do that in 2019. We took our cylinders in and requested nitrox. One of my hp100 cylinders was about 1/2 full of air. Picked it up the next moring and headed out to the Spiegel Grove, assuming it was "30%". The FSO had put a 30% tape on the cylinder. I tested it on the boat and it came out to something (I forget) like 26%. Come to find out later he filled the cylinder with 30% without draining it first or analyzing it after. 30% was what they banked so it must be 30%, right? :)

That's why you always analyze your cylinder no matter what the tank monkey tells you.

Back
Top Bottom