Question Oxygen fill whip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trade your spare bottle of O2 for more 3L cylinders?
Not sure what Norway has for bulk O2, but here you get about 2400 PSI. So even a new bottle of O2 isn't going to transfill into a full 3L bottle at 3000 PSI (207 bar).
Traveling, guessing you are thinking a regular scuba tank filled to 3000 PSI and transfill to a rebreather bottle. Now you are carrying a big bottle of O2 to transfill into the little bottle. And the pressure drop will quickly limit fills.

Will the transfer whip work? Yes. But you have to expect the limitations.

I have a Haskel mini, use it at home mostly. I have done a parking lot fill once, it will work. In the end I just got a spare set of 3L bottles and called it good. Been there, tried stuff, came to the same solution you are going toward kicking and screaming. Just get another set of bottles.

Thanks - I do have a total of 4 3L bottles, so a "spare" of each. I also have both D12 and D18 doubles, so something to carry the gas in is no issue. My at home source of O2 and HE is two different dove clubs I'm a member at, so should get a somewhat good fill. (More than 1 50L of each gas available.)

Costing how much $$$$? Also needs a decent compressor to run it at more $$$$

For those of us without loads of money, old twinsets make good banks for oxygen, air and rich trimix. Just need a gas dealer who'll fill them. Then a $100 whip is all you need (and a $80 digital gauge if partial pressure blending).

Also, keep your eyes open for "rebreather" 3 litre diluent and oxygen cylinders. It's good to have at least a couple; one with trimix and one with air for shallow and training dives. Actually a couple of trimix cylinders, deep and mid depth.

As I still use my doubles for cave/mine there's no chance I'll fill them with HE for a weeks trip. Inexpensive O2 no issue to waste, but I'll skip on that HE🤭

I haven't bought it yet (I think about it every time I mix!), but here's an inexpensive needle valve specifically designed for O2 that can be added to any whip.

Don't. Never buy a valve advertised from a scuba outfit For Oxygen Use
Also the advert you quoted if fully Bull S

You need a stated burst pressure of at least a 4:1 safety factor for brass stamped material
You need to know the Cv rating of the valve
You need to know the number of turns to fully handle locked open
And more important the number of turns to full flow open
You need to know the seat material and polymer used
You need to know the Packing material and design

You also need a full data sheet on the valve in question and the manufacturer
This Needle Valve is built specifically for ************* is pure bull for the amateur reader.

I may have one that I can sell you, in a Pelican case

Don't. Never buy a valve advertised from a scuba outfit For Oxygen Use
Also the advert you quoted if fully Bull S

You need a stated burst pressure of at least a 4:1 safety factor for brass stamped material
You need to know the Cv rating of the valve
You need to know the number of turns to fully handle locked open
And more important the number of turns to full flow open
You need to know the seat material and polymer used
You need to know the Packing material and design

You also need a full data sheet on the valve in question and the manufacturer
This Needle Valve is built specifically for ************* is pure bull for the amateur reader.
Any link to a 1/4" needle valve that can handle O2?

Edit: also wanted to add, John @ NESS is a pretty decent guy. I've never heard anyone complain about anything that he has sold and he has just about any weird fitting you could ever need.

Buy PCP transfill whip from aliexpress. USD 50 to 100 depends from seller.
Had a buddy buy one from Aliexpress, was not at all happy with the quality, but it did work. I think his was $40.

Piranha sells one that's nice that's fairly inexpensive. I think it's $90, but it's quality.

I haven't bought it yet (I think about it every time I mix!), but here's an inexpensive needle valve specifically designed for O2 that can be added to any whip.

Not totally sure, but it looks like one I have seen for oxy cutting torches... so I am quite sure it's for oxygen... don't think it's for high pressure.

Not totally sure, but it looks like one I have seen for oxy cutting torches... so I am quite sure it's for oxygen... don't think it's for high pressure.
3000 psi working pressure, so whatever that equates to burst pressure (I think he told me 3x, but don't quote me on that).

All my O2 tanks are 2400 on a hot day, so would be fine?... but if someone posted a better model I'm all about it. I haven't purchased a needle valve yet. My current method is to open all valves (so tank, manifold) and then slowly open the O2 bottle until I get a little hiss and watch the digital gauge go up. I only open it so it's slow enough to see each number as it increases. It's easy to get "too much" of a hiss, hence why I'd like a needle valve.

Not really what you're asking about, but I remember reading once about manually-operated oxygen boosters and thinking how neat these would be for decanting/boosting into very small cylinders (like 2-3 liter rebreather bottles). Are these manual boosters still available?

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom