Oxygen fill rate/ Oxygen filling too slow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alanchang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys
So, I been trying to fill my own rebreather bottles for O2 these days and I discovered that if I fill at 80psi/min, it will take me 30min to fill a tank from 500-3000. If I need to fill 4 tanks together, that’s 2 hours. Way too slow. Way way too slow. Don’t have the patience to do that.

Is there anything else that I can do for this?

Going to need many more details than this. Booster type? Booster ratio? Inlet pressure? Drive gas source?

Answer: larger booster, bigger drive gas, etc etc
My booster is a huge one. 1:40 2 stages. Easily boost 40psi per cycle. I'm afraid to run it too fast tho. Cus I don't want to exceed the safe oxygen fill rate.

Can I fill one at a time but fill really fast? Like 3000psi/min
I suppose you “could”. Medical gas refilled do it all the time. Personally, I’ll fill slow.

Can I fill one at a time but fill really fast? Like 3000psi/min
I’ve filled them so fast they get too hot to touch.

I don’t recommend the practice.

As tomfcrist says, medical and industrial bottles are filled that way, but they don’t have Teflon discs, which will burn up and make your gas toxic.

Ask me how I know.

I was wondering about that. Seems the slower the better for O2. But it's been a long time since I've dealt with O2 in that fashion.

Ohhhh….story time Frank.
I was using my Masterline, and always hooked an AL-80 when filling a single 2 or 3 liter, just so it wouldn’t fill too fast. I attached the 80 but forgot to open the cylinder valve.

I turned on the booster and went to watch the pressure on the 3 liter that I was filling for either Richie or Barney, and the booster switched off at 4500 psi before I could get to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom