Bauer Junior II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats on the decision to go to 230 volt. With that, stay with a 3 HP motor to experience what the compressor was meant for. Single phase or three phase?? Both have pros and cons. Your home, as well as many other places, most likely only have single phase 230 volt service available. Changing this is not practicable. tbone1004 suggestion to use a VFD is indeed a very nice option, albeit it may cost more upfront, but I also agree it checks a lot of other boxes for you. To be clear, you feed the VFD with standard 230 volt single phase (what you have) and the VFD will provide the three phase to your motor. You MUST use a 3 phase motor to use the VFD option. Only a 3 phase motor can be "ramped up softly" on startup, thus conserving inrush power. The VFD can also serve as your starter and operate with a pressure switch in your future. This traditionally is most often used on generators, boats, trucks, etc. Be sure to carefully size the unit for single phase feed rather than the normal three phase feed. (Thus an upsize is required) I personally love that setup...
However I sense you are looking for something with less upfront cost. If so, simply use a single phase 230 volt 3 HP motor with a 56H frame. It will bolt up to your frame. You still need a way to control turning the motor on and off. You could use a simple manual switch or a full motor contactor. Just for fun, I have attached some photos of how we set it up here at our place. This will give you an idea of how it could be done, and you can source the items just about anywhere. A fun project.

Attachments

• jr_ms_05_xl.jpg
    jr_ms_05_xl.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 43
  • jr_startbox_xl.jpg
    jr_startbox_xl.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 44
Thanks I am planning to do single phase 220v (230V) with a simple on off switch. I local place I ordered the motor from has a spacer so I can reuse the pully from the gas engine. The RPMs are very close from the gas to the electric so I should be fine.

If anyone is interested in buying the gas engine its for sale.

2 questions I am hoping you guys can help with:
1) What male thread is this on the fitting that goes into the outlet gold filter stack? I want to order fitting and hose to make the filling whip. See picture attached
2) What is the 2 wire coming off the compressor for? It was wired into the on off switch for the gas motor? See picture attached

I received the electric 220v motor yesterday and the shaft spacer. The set screw in the hub for the shive is stuck so I am working on it today. Motor is bolted up and it looks like the pulley will line up good. as soon as the on off switch gets here I can start making compressed air. Need to build a whip next and start testing everything. Thanks guys for the help

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 45
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 40
2 questions I am hoping you guys can help with:
1) What male thread is this on the fitting that goes into the outlet gold filter stack? I want to order fitting and hose to make the filling whip. See picture attached
2) What is the 2 wire coming off the compressor for? It was wired into the on off switch for the gas motor? See picture attached

I received the electric 220v motor yesterday and the shaft spacer. The set screw in the hub for the shive is stuck so I am working on it today. Motor is bolted up and it looks like the pulley will line up good. as soon as the on off switch gets here I can start making compressed air. Need to build a whip next and start testing everything. Thanks guys for the help
The fitting looks like / should be a BSPP adapter. Don't forget to get the crush washer with it.

Edit; I was wrong about the statement below. Not sure what that is.

The wire looks like it's to add an electric starter? I have wires like that on my compressor, just a different plug.

The filter tower uses a lot of BSPP, British Standard Pipe Parallel, fittings. Should have been an o-ring or crush washer on that fitting. Size is probably 1/4", although 3/8" is similar enough I always measure them to be sure.

Hi
I find it best to use 1/4 bspp male fitting in to the bauer housing
If you can find it use type [FORM E ] it has a built in seal.

BSP or oring boss. I can remember, but pretty sure it ORB
20231104_193046.jpg

You will not regret doing a VFD.
Usually you can fine 3phase motors used quite cheap. Or free.
VFDs are quite cheap. I have used the Chinese ones and have yet to have a problem... 130ish CAD.
I can fairly easily swap from gas to electric on mine....20231026_070901.jpg20231026_070821.jpg

VFD Frequency Converter XSY-AT1 3 Phases 220V Output Variable Frequency Drive

Is this the fitting?

What is in the hole now?
Is it chamfered or flush?
Bsp and metric can be both ways.
Some you need an oring, some you need copper washer/bonded washer....
If you don't know your threads.... I would take the piece to your local hydraulic hose shop, an test fit.... (do not force anything!!!!!)

Back
Top Bottom