Oxygen fill rate/ Oxygen filling too slow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was using my Masterline, and always hooked an AL-80 when filling a single 2 or 3 liter, just so it wouldn’t fill too fast. I attached the 80 but forgot to open the cylinder valve.

I turned on the booster and went to watch the pressure on the 3 liter that I was filling for either Richie or Barney, and the booster switched off at 4500 psi before I could get to it.
How fast does a Masterline fill? Like what's the max speed? I never understand why ppl love masterline so much since I can't express how much I love my big air-driven booster.
Masterline: Turn on and wait. No drama no gauges moving up and down no noise. It looks like a Tesla car that's too smart. No one can tell what you're doing when using a Masterline booster. Masterline users do not look like they're trying to complete a significant amount of missions.

My big air-driven booster: Lots of drama when using. Very noisy and high pitch drive air sound/vent sound and mechanical noise. Lots of gauges that move and lots of controls. Vented air blow into your face. Anyone can tell that there's a big deal of things going on. Also, air-driven boosters are a pleasure to run cus it is oddly satisfying to see a booster making those periodic noises. Big air-driven boosters are comparable to a hand-shift truck from the 60s that has absolutely no electronics.

How fast does a Masterline fill? Like what's the max speed? I never understand why ppl love masterline so much since I can't express how much I love my big air-driven booster.
Masterline: Turn on and wait. No drama no gauges moving up and down no noise. It looks like a Tesla car that's too smart. No one can tell what you're doing when using a Masterline booster. Masterline users do not look like they're trying to complete a significant amount of missions.

My big air-driven booster: Lots of drama when using. Very noisy and high pitch drive air sound/vent sound and mechanical noise. Lots of gauges that move and lots of controls. Vented air blow into your face. Anyone can tell that there's a big deal of things going on. Also, air-driven boosters are a pleasure to run cus it is oddly satisfying to see a booster making those periodic noises. Big air-driven boosters are comparable to a hand-shift truck from the 60s that has absolutely no electronics.
All of them are fun when they explode though…Is Wayne on here? Lol.

Can I fill one at a time but fill really fast? Like 3000psi/min
Have no idea how you got that idea out of my response. Asking that makes me really worry that you have any idea what you are doing. I am going to presume that was supposed to be some sort of joke that didn't go right.

Try this again. A rebreather cylinder is typically a 3L bottle. Put 4 fill whips on the output and now treat the fill as if you were filling a single 12L bottle, just subdivided. Fill that at your favorite 80PSI/min. When done, all 4 bottles are finished at the same time. Can your booster actually do that? Would you be comfortable running a booster like that? Different limitations. But speeds your filling of one bottle at a time into all four bottles at once, so the theoretical fill time is 4 times faster. But you keep the 80PSI/min rate.

So, I was also tought to fill slow, rated in bars/minute. But thinking of it, isn't what we try to avoid high velocity gas through fittings/valves etc? If so it makes no sense to fill 3 liters bottles at the same rate (in Bars/PSI) as D18/Lp114 or so on.

While true, when doing it for a living, avoiding drama is key.

My bottles up to 80s 100s etc sometimes get warm but not when boosting into bank bottles
You won't have me hanging around inside that room any longer than is absolutley necessary

My blending instructor highlighted the importance of cleaning and reasonable fill rates by sticking different o rings under a flask full of 02 and lighting each. Butyl, niton and teflon seat all stunk but the teflon would choke you. He had some carboned up seats from deco regs to illustrate as well.
I'll rush through PP blending but compressing 02 still make me leery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom