Just got my OW Cert... Need to buy gear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KozMcCharlie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I finished my certification this weekend and need to pick up some gear for my AOW class in about a month, also want to do a few weekends of diving before the class. I've done some shopping around while going through the classes and would like to hear some opinions on my choices...

Mares Pegasus BC
Aeris AT400 Ion DVT
Aeris A1 Octo
Oceanic Veo 3.0 Computer

The price for the setup is great at around $900, but I was shopping around and can also get a similar set of features for about a hundred dollars less with this package...

Mares Pegasus BC
Oceanic GT3
Oceanic Swivel 180 Octo
Oceanic Veo 180 Computer

I was hoping to hear some opinions fairly quickly as I can get the stuff in time for the weekend if I order in the next hour or so...

Thanks!

Just make sure you get a nitrox computer. That's one of the first skills new divers get.

Apples and Oranges on the computers

The veo 180 is a good basic computer and does nitrox. It is also out of production (supported, just not being made any more). If you want a low cost computer, it is worth considering (I have 2).

The veo 3.0 is more capable replacement with lots of extra features (multiple gas, deep stops, dual algorithems, firmware upgradable, etc..). I think either would work for most divers, but the 3.0 is a step up and if the price difference was small I would consider it.

Fair warning: I have learned the hard way, fast purchase decisions tend to cause problems. Take you time to consider all your options before you buy and search past post on the gear you are considering. There is a wealth of info on SB.

Yeah... I've been looking and trying and researching and trying to come up with the right choice and I think that it comes down to (at least for me) the fact that I don't really need the extra bells and whistles right now. If I do down the line, I'm prepared to upgrade from here, but the difference in price will pay for an extra day on the boat in Maui... Decision mostly made.

Thanks To GOG!

I second the don't make quick decisions. I see you are from NJ, are you going to try and dive locally on a regular basis? If you do it might be worth talking to more local divers about what they use. Also try to talk to people outside the shop you got certified at. Shops typically try to sell what they have which may not be the best for you.

I just got certified recently as well and was about to buy a bunch of gear. I have all the required stuff I needed (fins, snorkel, mask, gloves, booties, knife, light) but I realized that I can rent everything for $40 from the store, and it would probably cost me a grand to buy everything and that's not even that good of equipment.

I like renting for now because I can pick up gear slowly but surely (easier on the cash flow) and I'm getting a better idea of what I want and don't want. It spooked me a lot when I saw all the used scuba gear all over craiglist.

- a noob's $0.02

Yeah... I've been looking and trying and researching and trying to come up with the right choice and I think that it comes down to (at least for me) the fact that I don't really need the extra bells and whistles right now. If I do down the line, I'm prepared to upgrade from here, but the difference in price will pay for an extra day on the boat in Maui... Decision mostly made.

Thanks To GOG!

Being that you're a no bells & whistles guy and want gear that will last through as long as possible through your diving career I would second what some of the other guys have said n try first before you buy. No point getting stuff fast n later regretting it sooner or later.

Comp, something that has a 2 gas mixture is good for a lot of diving. Did you check out the Uwatec Aladin Tec 2G Wrist Computer which is cheaper and has a bottom timer too?

Bcd, since the Mares is a back inflate did you consider the Zeagle scout, express tech or a dive rite transpac? All of which have replaceable parts like wings etc.

Regs, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, why not consider a sealed reg if you want to dive under a wider range of conditions?

I agree with the guys to check out with the other divers around your area on what they use.

Then call a good reliable company like Edd at Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!! or Randy at Piranha Dive Manufacturing to confirm what is better suited for your needs and some decent prices for your gear.

SangP

Back
Top Bottom