Help me pick a regulator set for my 11 year old son, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you ever heard of this happening to a Mk11? Or any other diaphragm first stage for that matter?

I have seen @rsingler's photos of ScubaPro piston reg bodies that had to be scrapped due to internal scoring.

Yes. Not a Mk11, though. I'm not sure if I've ever even dived with anyone on a Mk11.

I have seen @rsingler's photos of ScubaPro piston reg bodies that had to be scrapped due to internal scoring.
I was a SP dealer when I lived in NY up until 2004 and sold huge numbers of mk20s and Atomic regulators, we seldom saw this issue. I had a big service department with 5 technicians working for me including one who was hired to work as the service manager for one the 3 largest dive equipment manufacturers in the world. He continued to work for me on part time basis. Again, it was a rare occuring issue to the point of being a non-issue.

Another factor on keeping Deep6 in the running is that they support self service (they want some evidence you know what you're doing, but seem to be flexible on what constitutes that evidence... i.e. Rsingler's course is not a factory sponsored by anyone, but D6 accepts it).

I would say his course is 'sponsored' by us. It is fully factory authorized.

I would lean strongly toward the Aqualung Core - simply because it auto-closes so if he forgets to take care of it you won't have to get it rebuilt (which is why I bought it). :)

Of the brands given, I would go:

#1 Atomic Z2

#2 (tie) Dive Rite XT1 + XT4

#2 (tie) ScubaPro Mk25 EVO + G260

(very distant) #4 Halcyon H75P + Halo

I own or have owned all of those.

To address some comments above, the Atomic Z2 does not have the Comfort Swivel, which is one of the reasons I prefer it (over, for example, the Z3 which is the exact same reg but with the Comfort Swivel).

On the Z2, it comes with a "normal" LP hose, so you can just straight up swap to any length hose you want. No issues. No futzing with a jam nut.

Which is good, because Atomic regs, just like almost every other brand, come with hose lengths that are crap. Dive Rite comes with good hose lengths. The others - they all give you something like a 32 - 36 inch hose. Atomic does 36".

I have no use for any hose in the 32 - 36 inch range on a single tank reg set. It's too long for the reg that goes directly from the 1st stage to my mouth and it's too short for the hose that goes down behind my shoulder and loops under my right arm.

I think Atomic does it that way so you can use any of their regs either paired with a normal octo, OR you can use it with their SS1 ("safe second" BCD inflator/octo combo device). The 36" hose CAN be used for the reg that goes straight from the 1st stage to your mouth. It bows WAY out to the right and comes back, but you can use it that way. And it is just barely long enough to convince yourself you can donate that reg to an OOA diver, while you switch to the SS1 for yourself.

So, when I was using Z2 regs for my single tank (Z2 1st stage with 2 x Z2 2nd stages), I swapped the hoses on both 2nd stages - one shorter and one longer. The Z2 not having a Comfort Swivel made that just the same as swapping hoses on any other brand.

Also, remember, the Z2 is their lowest price reg. But, it is made with the same materials all the other guys are using for their most expensive regs. A Z2 is like talking about the lowest priced Bentley or the lowest priced Rolex. It and the ScubaPro and the Dive Rite are all just chrome (or PVD) over brass for their first stage. They're all just polycarbonate, zirconium, and whatever for their 2nd stage. Don't ignore the Z2 just because it's less expensive (than SP - it's still about $30 more than the DR reg).

ScubaPro would also require changing hoses to get the "right" (i.e. MY preferred) lengths.

A Dive Rite set should come with the right hoses out of the box. I think you can even special request all rubber hoses when you order. Otherwise, they come with braided hoses. (I would request all rubbber, myself)

Send me your Halo second stage, if I can't fix it I'll eat it and send you the money😁

Send me your Halo second stage, if I can't fix it I'll eat it and send you the money😁

Well... once I receive my TFX and have a new single tank setup to use, I might just take you up on that. :)

Well... once I receive my TFX and have a new single tank setup to use, I might just take you up on that. :)

It's an open offer. I'll sort it out for sure, I have a million springs, several new levers, orifices and several new poppets, heck I'll replace barrel if I have to, never been beaten by a G250/V yet and several have tried.

Back
Top Bottom