Help with my first Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaverickDiver94

Registered
Reaction score
Im new to Scuba Diving and just got my open water. As most of you know Scuba gear could be super expensive as Ive already spent a lot on mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuite, and boots

Although I may have taken a few shortcuts on a few items (e.g., SMB, Finger reels, Bolt snaps, Mesh backpack for gear, Equipment bags, etc..),
there are some areas that I dont mind spending a little extra.
Was hoping you pros could tell me your honest opinion on what you think as my first major items on my purchase list and if you would do anything different:

Items are in order on how plan to purchase them (Order might change if I find good deals on them) especially around the holidays).
If anyone has any items they are interested in selling, feel free to shoot me a DM. Doesnt hurt to ask :)

Dive Computer:
-Shearwater Perdix 2 Ti ($1400+) (Like the idea of being able to replace my own battery unlike the Teric model)
-Shearwater Swift AI Transmitter ($400)

Regulator:
-Atomic T3 Regulator ($2,000)
-Atomic Ocotopus Z2 -or- Ti2 ($250 - $400)
-Oceanic Proplus 4.0 (Non-wireless Backup SPG, just incase dive computer ever fails) ($750)
-Atomic AI Inflator Titanium ($300, might purchase open box to save some)

BCD:
This is a tough one since Im small and hard to find the perfect fit.
Both have a price of about $1600
-Atomic BC1 (seems a little bulky so leaning more towards the BC2)
-Atomic BC2

Other:
-Eventually would like to purchase spring straps for fins. Those are currently priced at about $75
-Cutting tools and gloves as I plan to start a group doing ocean cleanups

I'm kind of cheap, so I would go with a Perdix AI to save some money over the 2.
Although I like Titanium, there's no way I would spend $2K on my first regulator. The Atomic Z2 or 3 is just fine along with many other regulators from reputable makers.
A $300. Titanium Inflator? WTF?
A BCD for $1600. ... ???
Gosh.

The enjoyment of diving has very little to do with how much you spend. The suitability of equipment has very little to do with its price.

You could spend 20% of that and go diving. Perhaps it would provide some perspective if you indicated what kind of car you drive.
You could spend the remaining 80% on a whole lot of dives or a couple really nice dive vacations.

Some people want to drive a KIA, others Toyota and others Mercedes and Rolls Royce. If you can't afford it yourself, no reason to belittle others who can.

You have picked the most expensive stuff out there Why?

Computer the perdix is a great computer for all levels. Some will say overkill for new divers but I disagree with them.

Why the T3? Atomic makes great regs but they all breathe the same so if going atomic just get the z2 or z3. Or you can get a different brand. Just make sure it's cold water rated.

750 for a backup SPG? Really that is a huge waste of money. Some say no SPG but I like having a backup. A simple brass and glass is just as good.

BC, wait try each of the three types a few times each then pick the one you like best. This is one area that getting a atomic if you do want a jacket or back inflate is just throwing away money.

Some people want to drive a KIA, others Toyota and others Mercedes and Rolls Royce. If you can't afford it yourself, no reason to belittle others who can.
I don't believe there was any attempt to belittle, I think it was a way of determining if money was no object because if it isn't, fine go ahead and spend a bunch, but if it is maybe we can suggest something more reasonable.

If you are in Florida, you have Highest Rated SCUBA Training Facility for Recreational, Sidemount, and Technical Diving - with @LandonL who is also co-owner of Deep 6 Gear. You should have a look at their offerings: high performance equipment at a moderate price due to a lean and mean company and direct to consumer sales.

You may want to pay attention to this thread: Atomic Parts Cost

I simply don't see the benefit of Atomic (which does make good gear, but is stupidly expensive) over Deep 6 or Apeks (another quality reg).

The reality is that reputable brands all provide quality equipment.

But more importantly, what are your long term goals for diving? You want to make your purchases for that in mind.

Back
Top Bottom