Help with my first Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a cold water diver and when I started out i was grossly overweighted by about 15 lbs. As there were two weight pouches for all that weight and the ripcord would dump both of them, if I was ever at depth and felt i needed help to get to the surface, when I pulled the ripcord I'd have quite a ride to the surface. My initial training was incredibly poor, but fortunately I never did have an emergency. I'd likely have been hurt if I had.

Makes sense, hopefully I will never need to pull the ripcord (to the best of my knowledge the founder of Zeagle was a skydiver…pulling the ripcord at depth might result in “reverse” skydive.

Makes sense, hopefully I will never need to pull the ripcord (to the best of my knowledge the founder of Zeagle was a skydiver…pulling the ripcord at depth might result in “reverse” skydive.
I would suggest two things:
1) ensure you dive a balanced rig
2) ensure you are neutrally buoyant with an empty BCD and a nearly empty cylinder at your safety stop. Add weight only to compensate for neoprene expansion (neoprene drysuits, 7 mil wetsuits). This is some trial and error.
3) add weight pockets to the cylinder straps to help you float effortlessly horizontally. You may be interested in the blog series I wrote (link in my signature).

Dive Computer:
-Shearwater Perdix 2 Ti ($1400+) (Like the idea of being able to replace my own battery unlike the Teric model)
-Shearwater Swift AI Transmitter ($400)

Regulator:
-Atomic T3 Regulator ($2,000)
-Atomic Ocotopus Z2 -or- Ti2 ($250 - $400)
-Oceanic Proplus 4.0 (Non-wireless Backup SPG, just incase dive computer ever fails) ($750)
-Atomic AI Inflator Titanium ($300, might purchase open box to save some)

BCD:
This is a tough one since Im small and hard to find the perfect fit.
Both have a price of about $1600
-Atomic BC1 (seems a little bulky so leaning more towards the BC2)
-Atomic BC2

Other:
-Eventually would like to purchase spring straps for fins. Those are currently priced at about $75
-Cutting tools and gloves as I plan to start a group doing ocean cleanups
I am a relatively new diver. Went through all the same things you are going through, trying to figure out what gear I wanted/needed.

Computer: I really like my Garmin Descent MK2i dive computer. It's a great dive computer, and is also a great all-around smart-watch/fitness tracker watch. The MK2S is a smaller, less bulky option if you don't need air integration. (I thought I wanted air integration, but turns out, I'm content with an old-fashioned analog gauge.)

Regulator: I considered the Atomic T3. However, I went with the stainless steel Atomic ST1 instead. The weight difference is negligible, the ST1 is corrosion resistant, and it was less money than the T3. If there had been an appreciable performance difference between the T3 and ST1, I probably would have bought the T3, but as far as I could tell, they're pretty much the same. 48 dives with the ST1, and I have no regrets. I replaced my octopus with an Atomic SS1 inflator/secondary combo. My wife has an Atomic octopus (one of the titanium ones, can't remember which) which seems to work fine. I could have saved money by purchasing regulators from other companies, but I've drunk the Atomic kool-aid.

BCD: I considered the Atomic BCDs. However, they are both kind of heavy and cumbersome. Their weight and bulk were a negative for me, not just for diving, but also for travel. After experimenting with a stripped down back-inflate BCD, (Aqualung Rogue) I settled on a BP/W (Helium brand titanium plate and hardware, OMS wing.) I really like the simplicity and flexibility of the BP/W set up. It's very comfortable and non-restrictive in the water and it's light weight and relatively less bulky for travel.

Cutting Tools: I am something of a knife snob and was not impressed by most of the dive knife offerings from the SCUBA brands. Ended up with a Benchmade dive knife and a "trilobite" style line cutter with a ceramic blade.

Other Stuff: I got an Orcatorch flashlight that seems to work well. Got a Subgravity DSMB that also works well. Have an analog air gauge. I've given up on air integration. I don't trust it enough to ditch my analog gauge, so it's just extra weight, bulk, and complication at this point.

I made a thread some time ago about my gear buying journey:

Newbie Thoughts on Gear

And we are back! 🙂
@MaverickDiver94, not sure where you are at now with decisions. I will give you my process as a new diver.
I wanted my own gear from as soon as I was certified. For me I felt that if I was in control of my equipment, I felt safer.
Scubaboard members have a wealth of information to share and I honestly could not have confidently bought what I wanted without their guidance.
I am/was on a budget as life is for some of us, so after weeks of reading forums and seeing what everyone says, and taking that with a grain of salt, I ordered Deep6 regs.
Cheaper than others but looking at who endorsed them made me feel comfortable. - if it’s good enough for a cave diver, it should be good enough for me when I go warm water diving on vacation.
I agree all regs will be fine for most divers.
When it came to BCD, I never liked the restricted feeling of a BCD with weight pockets (one fell out during OW cert) and I wanted something less constricting. Again Scubaboard and some LDS educated me on BPW set up. I was sold! I also learned that the 400 set from Zeagle or others worked fine and as good as the 1,000 kits. So I went with zeagle. Again no regrets.
Let us know what you end up getting and good luck in the process.
I ended up going with a Z2 Regulator with Z2 Oct. Went with a Zeagle SPG as a backup since Ill be using a dive computer that has a transmitter. Still have a few minor things to buys but I think Ill got all the main equipment. Currently working on getting a thicker wetsuit. With the cold weather we've been getting lately, Ive order a 5 MM suit. FYI, Bare has pretty good customer service. Wetsuit was delivered with creases I couldnt get out even after a dive. Very quick replacement process.

Apeks xtx50
Zeagle Ranger (if I was doing it again, I would possibly consider a backplate…maybe🤔)
Hollis F1 fins
Hollis SPG
DUI TLS350 drysuit (Fourth Element undergarments)
Shear water Peregrine (AI would be nice but I can live without it(.
Aqualung Teknika

After 2 seasons of using this gear, I don’t have any regrets or need to upgrade any time soon.
Zeagle Ranger is a great BC. I bought one for my OW and about 100 dives. The instructors sold everybody else the AL i3 Axium. Not my cup of tea. I still have my Ranger and use it for all of my fresh water diving.

This is one of the best deals out thereView attachment 762250
the F8 regulator will keep up with anything out there and exceed most in performance, Zeagle Recon fins are excellent.

google that name in the blue band, they have everything you need.
I have been able to test many regs diving. I tried an F8 just to see what it was like. Needless to say I bought an F8 and use it exclusively now. It is bullet proof and
really impressed me. You don't think regs when you think Zeagle but they really hit it out of the park with this one.

I have been able to test many regs diving. I tried an F8 just to see what it was like. Needless to say I bought an F8 and use it exclusively now. It is bullet proof and
really impressed me. You don't think regs when you think Zeagle but they really hit it out of the park with this one.
100%

You don't think regs when you think Zeagle but they really hit it out of the park with this one.
I know most don’t, but I have thought regs when I think Zeagle (BCs as well) for many years. They’ve had a pretty big following in my area, but I think a lot of that has to with Zeagle being a local company for a while.

I currently have 3 Zeagle sets in the family. A DS-IV/V, an Onyx II, and a FH7. FH7 and F8 firsts are identica. The seconds on the DS and FH have had the post Huish upgrades added, Onyx came with them. IIRC, upgrades were designed by Atomic based on the work done with the F8 second.

All sets have been absolutely flawless. My regular buddies have had more issues with their regs than any of mine. More is anything greater than zero.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom