Joining the Vintage Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kingairpilot

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, after a few months of lurking on the vintage forum, I've finally gotten around to joining the club. In the past 2 weeks, I've scored (off evil-bay) a LP 72 with a Healthways backpack, a set of Calypso regs, and a DA Aquamaster. I can't wait to dive with this "outdated" gear. The "outdated" part came from my LDS operator who can't understand why I'm buying a set of 30y.o. regs for $35.00 and not a new set of Cressi's for $500. Oh well.

Anyway, the Steel 72 has a bit of rust on the inside...but nothing flaking. A neighbor of mine (OLD, past VP of the Underwater society of America, former dive shop owner, has pics in the water with JYC) said the tank didn't look too bad, just needed a tumble, hydro, and vis. I've personally never seen the inside of a steel tank before...how clean are they supposed to be? Bright and shiney?

The regs should be here within a week and I'll let you guys (and girls) know when they get here.

Glad to be joining the club. Now all I need is a red watch cap and a speedo.

ka

Attachments

• steel lp 72.jpg
    steel lp 72.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 76
  • aquamaster.jpg
    aquamaster.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 91
  • calypso and bce.jpg
    calypso and bce.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 92
Come on in, the water is fine.

You got a nice rig to start with, problem is stopping.

As for tumbling, I'd say about 90% of all the tumbuling that is talked about on the boards is unnessary. 15 minutes or less with a carbide whip will clean up most tanks just fine.

That DA isn't 30 years old. More like 50. No problem though, DA's can be brought back to better then new and are really good performers. Nice reg!

You got a nice rig to start with, problem is stopping.

As for tumbling, I'd say about 90% of all the tumbuling that is talked about on the boards is unnessary. 15 minutes or less with a carbide whip will clean up most tanks just fine.

I'm new to this DIY scuba stuff. Tell me more

ka

Glad to see another getting ready to DoItRight!

Welcome to the club. Like Jim said, the DA is closer to 50yo, USD changed from dull chrome (like yours) to shinny chrome in 64 so it's at least a 63 model. You will need to rebuild it, either do it yourself or have Bryan at VDH do it. They are not difficult but for your first one it may be better to let Bryan do it, that way you have a known proper working one to learn on. Diving a DH reg is somewhat different than a single hose reg so do not expect them to dive the same. Body position and reg position play an important role in how they breath. You also need to learn the proper way to clear the reg and learning to buddy breath with a DH reg is a good idea as well, esp if you are using the J valve. If you can find someone local who dives a DH reg, it's a really good idea to get with them somewhere and spend some time learining from them. It makes the learning curve a lot shorter and when you have questions you can get answers on the spot. I also suggest you get a banjo adapter to allow you to monitor your tank pressure. There is a fairly active and growing bunch of us diving the old regs so help and advise is fairly easy to come by.

Congrats and ditto on what has been written.

My first SCUBA Dive was with a DA and I still have a number of them.. Several I use on occasion...There is just something about a DA and Double hoses that say "This is real diving"

Re Texas ( Tex ASS)

My great great etc uncle was at the Alamo, His brother was one of the senators of the county of Texas...He was very proud of being a Texican as you are..His marriage certificate listed his country as Texas..

I also note your name is King-- I landed in on one engine at Kingville NAS after a training bombing run on Houston...Since I was USAF and it was NAS I would have probably felt more comfortable if I had landed in Russia..
( that was a long time ago....)

Wecome to the vintage tribe

sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom