Joining the Vintage Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the Aquamaster arrived yesterday while I was inspecting my new tanks. I think I may be able to salvage 2 of the 4. 2 where Healthways (1 1958 with an original valve, both 1/2in) and 2 where US Divers tanks. The old Healthways and 1 of the USD tanks didn't pass the "Bell Test" when hit with a hammer. This is the first I've heard of this test but the LDS said they weren't worth having hydro'd. 1 tank really needs a tumble so, we will see what happens. I guess I can turn the bad ones into lamps or a mailbox and still get my money's worth.

anyway,

The DA Aquamaster looks all original. C clips holding it together, original mouthpiece (tastes like a 1974 snorkle I had back in the day). No serial number, and there is a gold crown above the lable. I thought those where only on the Royal AM. Also, I don't know who Jack Sharpe is/was, but he was nice enough to NICELY engrave his name on my reg. Does this mean I've got to change my name now? Sharpe, Jack Sharpe...got a nice ring to it.

Oh well, Off to the pool I go with an AL80 at about 1900psi. Don't hate me for it, it's all I've got at the moment.

ka

ps, where can I find more on the production history of the DAAM?

Never heard of the "bell test" either.

Kingair

Before you destroy those two tanks, take them to Ft Worth Scuba on the Benbrook Traffic Circle.......ask for Don.....he owns the shop.....been in business since 1966.........knows everything there is to know.......if he pronounces them bad, then you can rest assured they are.....

Well, the Aquamaster arrived yesterday while I was inspecting my new tanks. I think I may be able to salvage 2 of the 4. 2 where Healthways (1 1958 with an original valve, both 1/2in) and 2 where US Divers tanks. The old Healthways and 1 of the USD tanks didn't pass the "Bell Test" when hit with a hammer. This is the first I've heard of this test but the LDS said they weren't worth having hydro'd. 1 tank really needs a tumble so, we will see what happens. I guess I can turn the bad ones into lamps or a mailbox and still get my money's worth.

anyway,

The DA Aquamaster looks all original. C clips holding it together, original mouthpiece (tastes like a 1974 snorkle I had back in the day). No serial number, and there is a gold crown above the lable. I thought those where only on the Royal AM. Also, I don't know who Jack Sharpe is/was, but he was nice enough to NICELY engrave his name on my reg. Does this mean I've got to change my name now? Sharpe, Jack Sharpe...got a nice ring to it.

Oh well, Off to the pool I go with an AL80 at about 1900psi. Don't hate me for it, it's all I've got at the moment.

ka

ps, where can I find more on the production history of the DAAM?

Never heard of the bell test.
I STRONGLY suggest you not dive the DA until you have at least had the cans and mouthpiece apart and inspect them. I have never seen one that had not recently been serviced that had an intact and useable duckbill in it and 90% of the time the mouthpiece valves are trashed as well. At least half the time, the duckbills have turned into a blob of goo. The old rubber in those parts did not last long. Many times the diaphgram is stiff but useable. The modern silicone replacements are not expensive and are much better to boot. Do yourself a big favor and do a good predive inspections on it before diving it, we all want your first experience with a DA to be a good one, diving one with trashed mouthpiece valves, a defective duckbill and a stiff diaphgram is not going to be enjoyable.

Here are a couple of photos of some regs I have restored, they looked fine on the outside.

normal_Mouthpieces-small.jpg

normal_P9020491.jpg

WOW. I guess I'll have to open it up and post some pictures. It's already been dove with...about 1/2 hr ago in teh pool. Max depth of 3 to 3 1/2 ft. I just couldn't resist.:dork2: It sure breathes...different. I know it needs to be serviced but I just had to see what JYC and Mike Nelson used. Please forgive that I had to use an AL 80 and my BCD since I didn't have a lp72 lying around.

I need to send it off to VDH and have it rebuilt. This thing is SO COOL.

ka

When you send your DAAM to Bryan at VHD, you might as well go ahead and have him put a long yoke on it and get a banjo fitting for an SPG and an adapter to convert your Hookah port into a low pressure port.

Last edited:
Glad it went OK. They do breath differnet but my guess is the mouthpiece valves and duckbill are not in great shape, they rarely are and it added a good bit to the "difference". No problem using a AL-80, that is what I use most of the time myself and they will stand 3000 OK although they will breath a little harder at 3K. A modern BC does not work well because they tend to force you to keep the reg high, up near your head as opposed to between your shoulder blades where it should be. It works, just not well. If you intend to have Bryan do the work, don't bother removing the clips. Unless done carefully you will scratch the chrome. Those of us us do our own work have made special tools to remove and install the clips. Besides the needed parts for a rebuild, a band clamp instead of the clips is a good investment. That way you can open the cans and inspect the reg easily.

I have been doing tanks for 17 years and the bell test can be used on steel tanks. It is not a replacement for inspecting the tank but can indicate a good from bad tank.
Quote from PSI inspector book by Bill High Fourth Edition page 68. "For steel cylinders only, conduct a hammer test. Assess tone for a bell-like quality."

So for those of you that inspect tanks and did not know this, I encourage you to take a PSI refresher class or at least review the book.

Never heard of the "bell test" either.

I hadn't either until today. I was looking at the report that came back with my steel 72 had a bell test on it: "Hammer tone test bell like YES". So when I nod my head you hit it with a hammer and if I hear bells the tank is good!:D

Back
Top Bottom