Is PADI popular because it's cute?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an aside question here; how many of us find this book a bit distressing?

I don't know about the rest of you, but my first thought on that title is, "If you're a dummy, then scuba diving is probably not a very good choice of sport for you."

I won't leave it to Walter to point out that the author of that book is affiliated with PADI.

Do you think CMAS is only French?

With your coordinate GPS 40º 34'N -3º 55'W, do you live in Menorca?
No, I don't think that CMAS is only French (don't try to get smart with me, penguin, OK?) What I was saying is that because it is CONFEDERATION MONDIALE and started life in Monaco, the French dig it. If it was the World Confederation headquartered in Nebraska they probably wouldn't dig it so much. No, I do not live in Menorca.

As a new member to scubaboard, I have to say this is the biggest bunch of crybabies I've ever read through in a thread. Who cares? Aren't we all a part of the dive community, regardless of what agency we choose to train through? Should'nt we all strive to dive safe and help anyone who needs it? Get over yourselves.:confused:
Welcome you to Scubaboard. Start with the First Amendment..................

They can get a PADI c-card in one weekend or they can go down the street to a place with a high quality class that takes several weeks. Walter

Not in my neck-o-the-woods (on either count). That "street" would be about a hundred miles long. As for PADI's low standards, all three of my instructors must have known about them and beefed up their programs. Wow. The standards suck, but man...those PADI instructors rock!

PADI worked for me when I re-entered scuba diving....they offer a good set of recreational programs. No agency is perfect, but they do as good a job as any IMO.

Well, that was my point....its cutsey name, "Paddy" is easy to remember, sounds nice, and creates that warm fuzzy feeling. If it is true that the name itself contributes significantly to the marketing effect (and I don't think there is any way to know this), then it's simply brilliant (assuming it was on purpose and didn't just work out that way).
I could humor you and say youre right or I could give you the exact reason why I think PADI is more "popular" here.

Ill do the latter.
1. PADI is by far most easilly available, which is of HUGE impact here as its not a matter of travelling 5 more minutes for another option.
2. PADI is based on lots of (in many peoples opinion TOO) small modules which means its not very time consuming and therefore also not very expensive.

PADI is good at making their courses available, affordable and suitable for most peoples schedules - which seems to sell quite well..

Do you think that PADI's popularity and customer loyalty has anything PADI to do with PADI including the word PADI a few hundred PADI times per page on every single PADI book they have edited?
I don't know, PADI I have the feeling its a subliminal...NOT PADI message that sticks in your PADI brain from minute 0. I'm PADI not saying it's right PADI or wrong but it's obviously PADI some kind of marketing strategy that seems PADI to work very well PADI.

Do you think that PADI's popularity and customer loyalty has anything PADI to do with PADI including the word PADI a few hundred PADI times per page on every single PADI book they have edited?
I don't know, PADI I have the feeling its a subliminal...NOT PADI message that sticks in your PADI brain from minute 0. I'm PADI not saying it's right PADI or wrong but it's obviously PADI some kind of marketing strategy that seems PADI to work very well PADI.
The PADI books are a heck of a lot more readable than that...
Althought they ARE very fond of filling their books with big colorful adds..

Hoomi:
Just an aside question here; how many of us find this book a bit distressing?

That's one I've yet to read. That being the case, I don't know if there's anything distressing in it or not.

Hoomi:
I don't know about the rest of you, but my first thought on that title is, "If you're a dummy, then scuba diving is probably not a very good choice of sport for you."

Why? Lots of dummies dive. Hell, lots of them teach diving. Of course, the TOS prevents any dummies from actually being on ScubaBoard, so I'm not referring to anyone here. Seriously, it's merely a title of a series of how to books, all of them "for Dummies." It's not to be taken serriously.

Hoomi:
I won't leave it to Walter to point out that the author of that book is affiliated with PADI.

I wasn't going to point it out. I didn't know it, but looking at the cover, I see he's a PADI certified diver. He apparently makes no claim to being an instructor with any agency, so I wouldn't assume he's affiliated with PADI. I do see the PADI logo on the front, so I wonder about why.

Guba:
The standards suck, but man...those PADI instructors rock!

Some really do. They are far and few between, but there are some really, really good ones out there. Of course, that has absolutely nothing to do with PADI, but yes, they do exist. No arguments there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom