Is PADI popular because it's cute?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Do you think that a good deal of PADI's popularity is because of its cute name? PADI. Paddy. Sounds like Paddington Bear - or a sweet old Scottish or Irish guy. "Come dive with PADI my laddie!" It's all cute and cuddly. Whereas, something like NAUI or TDI or SSI or XYZ or whatever is just so dorky. What do you think? Is this theory complete BS or do you think maybe there is something to it?

You're on to something.

NAUI Nowie! (it's state of the art) GUE toomuch! Better diet! YMCA It was a fun place to get ___ BSACC Step on a Crack (British rhyming slang) CMAS But it's operable IANTD OIM12,C?

Maybe, Maybe not;great thought though

Do you think that a good deal of PADI's popularity is because of its cute name? PADI. Paddy. Sounds like Paddington Bear - or a sweet old Scottish or Irish guy. "Come dive with PADI my laddie!" It's all cute and cuddly. Whereas, something like NAUI or TDI or SSI or XYZ or whatever is just so dorky. What do you think? Is this theory complete BS or do you think maybe there is something to it?

Its probably because they did a better job at marketing.

Hysterical :rofl3:

I always thought "PADI"~Paddy~Patty sounded kind of foppish.

NAUI on the other hand sounds like WOWIE! which reminds me of Maui which makes me think of Maui-Wowie" which has absolutely nothing to do with the OP. OP, sounds like Opie which makes me think of Barne Fife; which again has absolutely nothing to do with the OP. Except that when I was in college watching reruns of the Andy Griffith show on WGN, there was a lot of Maui-Wowie in my Frat house which again.....

I like it

I was thinking this - but I didn't put it in my post. Thanks for the followup :)

Mauie Wowie.... Thanks, now pass the Dorito's....... I'm getting the munchies. :drooling:

Seriously, PADI is the best marketed dive agency in the world. Does that mean it's the best or worst? Nope. It is just the most visible and most publically recognized organization. They promote themselves really well. So, the uninitiated doesn't know anything about any of them, but they recognize the name. Great advertising.

Well, that was my point....its cutsey name, "Paddy" is easy to remember, sounds nice, and creates that warm fuzzy feeling. If it is true that the name itself contributes significantly to the marketing effect (and I don't think there is any way to know this), then it's simply brilliant (assuming it was on purpose and didn't just work out that way).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom