Is PADI popular because it's cute?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it's even the cute factor... I think that it has just saturated all areas of the world with its name and hype. Everywhere you look, it puts an ad, billboard, notice, sign.... It gives it's shops this **** star resort, or a Gold Palm Resort "rating"..... People Think that means something huge. And perception is everything... So, I don't think it's the sound of the name as much as how they have trained people to respond to it... Pavlov rules.

Do you think that a good deal of PADI's popularity is because of its cute name? PADI. Paddy. Sounds like Paddington Bear - or a sweet old Scottish or Irish guy. "Come dive with PADI my laddie!" It's all cute and cuddly. Whereas, something like NAUI or TDI or SSI or XYZ or whatever is just so dorky. What do you think? Is this theory complete BS or do you think maybe there is something to it?

A Scotsman called Paddy............... You guys over the pond sure deserve your reputation. :rofl3:

PADI was the only training available to me. Now that I have been diving for awhile I think that OW and AWO should have had much more information, but then again, maybe some of the learning is done by diving. I had great instructors and think that's what's most important in training.

Whereas, something like NAUI <snip> is just so dorky. What do you think? Is this theory complete BS or do you think maybe there is something to it?

Hmmmm...NAUI instructor....wears rabbit ears...in public...card carrying Dork Diver...you might be onto something :dork2:
Ber :lilbunny:

Do you think that a good deal of PADI's popularity is because of its cute name? PADI. Paddy. Sounds like Paddington Bear - or a sweet old Scottish or Irish guy. "Come dive with PADI my laddie!" It's all cute and cuddly. Whereas, something like NAUI or TDI or SSI or XYZ or whatever is just so dorky. What do you think? Is this theory complete BS or do you think maybe there is something to it?
What does this have to do with the purpose of this subforum?

This is the place to ask that Dive Agency about their classes!

Gotta agree with you on this one, jviehe. This thread has no business in this forum.

Sorry guys, didn't notice what forum it was in and you're right. It's headed to Basic Scuba Discussions. Carry on :D

Well, now that it's where it belongs, I'll respond.

NudeDiver:
Do you think that a good deal of PADI's popularity is because of its cute name?

Absolutely not. PADI is the largest certification agency for one reason and one reason only. It's the same reason McDonalds is so large. It's fast. Quality is low, but most folks don't care about that, they just want it now.

Sorry guys, didn't notice what forum it was in

Nor I. I would not have replied had I been aware.

It's the same reason McDonalds is so large. It's fast. Quality is low, but most folks don't care about that, they just want it now.

Sadly some people have to take what they can get. If McDonalds is the only place around where you can get a burger and you want a burger, you're gonna go to McDonalds. When I was looking around for an OW class, everything I found around here was padi affiliated, with maybe 2 exceptions, one of which I couldn't even find out where they were located (or if they even HAD a location) and a CMAS (i think) place that didn't have courses in english, so I took what I could get. Do I think I got the best training possible? no. the worst? no, definitely not, I've read about much worse here on SB. Do I intend on getting further training in the very near future? yup, definitely, but one way or the other, it's gotten me a card so i can get in the water so i can dive and keep learning and that was the whole point.

Back
Top Bottom