Is PADI popular because it's cute?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think what bugs me about the whole "Dummies" series of books (and I do own a few of them) is the implication of the dumbing down of everything. There's even a "Sex for Dummies" book (lesson one: If you're really a dummy, use proper birth control so you don't pass along dummy genes to another generation).

I imagine if this trend continues, we're going to see college level instruction manuals written in the same manner our first grade reading primers were written.

Look, look; see Billy. Billy wants to scuba dive! Put on your tank and regulator, Billy! Breathe, Billy, breathe!

Look, look! Spot wants to dive with Billy! No, Spot, no! Dogs are not allowed in the pool! Stay, Spot, stay!

OK, Got to jump in on the Dummies hijack.

Generally speaking, the Dummies books are not really for dummies. They present a subject in a manner that is quite comprehensive but does approach from a layman's perspective. They present subjects that are laden with jargon in a straight forward manner and they employ a somewhat light tone.

I have a copy of the Snorkeling book and it in no way "for dummies". It talks about skills and certification programs in a straight forward manner. Certainly not as good as "DTBWSH" (Divers Trained By Watching Sea Hunt) but it appears to be solid knowledge. When I read it, there were no hairs standing up on the back of my neck.

I am a Forensic Scientist (my day job) and I recommend "Forensic Science for Dummies" as a good introduction to my field when I speak at schools.

PS: A lot of libraries (remember them) carry the Dummies series.

Last edited:
i am only familiar with my well worn Divorce for Dummies

Are they written in that manner? I've never read any of them.

No, they're not written in that manner. As DMHO stated, they present various topics written in terms that are easy to understand by those not familiar with the particular jargon associated with the discipline. In that regard, they are useful.

I was being a bit facetious in addressing the trend we have been seeing for years, which is the continual decline of the average reading comprehension in this country, especially. IIRC, the current level most instruction books are written to is the third grade reading level.

That isn't too far removed from the "Dick and Jane" books we read in first grade.

I'd say the PADI Open Water course manual was probably not much higher than third grade reading level, either. While it's good that it's written to be easily understood, it distresses me to think that the scope of human knowledge is more extensive than it has ever been, and yet the mean average of human education is declining.

In fourth grade, I tested at the college reading level. Many of today's college students are having to take remedial reading and writing courses because they're not up to the level of either that most of us older folks were at in fourth grade. My daughter and I took an Advanced Writing course at the local college. This was a special projects in fiction course, and required the permission of the instructor to enter. It stipulated a demonstrated ability in writing, and yet, many of the students didn't understand the basic fundamentals of writing mechanics that I was taught before Junior High.

I'm not sure if we've gotten dumber along the way, or we've just allowed technology to make us lazier, or both.

Hoomi, I tend to agree with your basic premise. I teach some community college and inservice classes and have seen a need to change how I present material. I like to think that I still get the same material across, but good, bad or indifferent, the expected information transfer techniques have changed. I would hate to think about using a 35mm slide show today. Otoh, e-speak in papers makes me rolflmao. (I don't score well).

I think that you may be right in your comment that we have allowed technology to make us expect an easier way to learn. I now I go to Google (yahoo, wikipedia, etc) with a problem rather than going down the hall to the library...but I do know where it is if I need it.

With respect to the Dummies books. I see where you were going with the post. I would say that Dummies for Access, Windows XP, and Grant Writing are all good places to start learning something.

No, they're not written in that manner. As DMHO stated, they present various topics written in terms that are easy to understand by those not familiar with the particular jargon associated with the discipline. In that regard, they are useful.

I was being a bit facetious in addressing the trend we have been seeing for years, which is the continual decline of the average reading comprehension in this country, especially. IIRC, the current level most instruction books are written to is the third grade reading level.

That isn't too far removed from the "Dick and Jane" books we read in first grade.

I'd say the PADI Open Water course manual was probably not much higher than third grade reading level, either. While it's good that it's written to be easily understood, it distresses me to think that the scope of human knowledge is more extensive than it has ever been, and yet the mean average of human education is declining.

In fourth grade, I tested at the college reading level. Many of today's college students are having to take remedial reading and writing courses because they're not up to the level of either that most of us older folks were at in fourth grade. My daughter and I took an Advanced Writing course at the local college. This was a special projects in fiction course, and required the permission of the instructor to enter. It stipulated a demonstrated ability in writing, and yet, many of the students didn't understand the basic fundamentals of writing mechanics that I was taught before Junior High.

I'm not sure if we've gotten dumber along the way, or we've just allowed technology to make us lazier, or both.
If it was written as a college level text, would a 10 year old be able to take the class? Because thats what going on. People from 10-60+ are taking this course, all using the same text.

If it was written as a college level text, would a 10 year old be able to take the class? Because thats what going on. People from 10-60+ are taking this course, all using the same text.
Actually, sir, to give Walter, Hoomi and DHMO credit where it's due the situation is worse in many cases.

The kids (10-21) just watch the DVD because they can't read. They watch a chapter and do the quiz. That is not the instructors' fault or the agencies fault. Maybe we should talk not only about schools but about parents who educate their kids in front of a flat screen TV.

The smarter people read the books and you can have interesting class time with them. However every year we get more and more video people and less people who know how to read.

The other thing that has changed a lot since I was a kid is that even filling in a registration form seems like a major "overload" for some people. A lot don't even know how to hold a pen/pencil/writing instrument.

Now there are eRDPs so that students don't have to learn how to use a table or a wheel.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned...... my nearly 17 year old stepson doesn't know if he wants to go to the Naval Academy or compose gangster rap...... now that's my fault!:shakehead:

Reminds me of the 1958 Isaac Asimov short story (yes, I can read!), "The Feeling Of Power".

Plot summary from Wikipedia:

The distant future, humans live in a computer-aided society and have forgotten the fundamentals of mathematics, including even the rudimentary skill of counting.

The Terrestrial Federation is at war with Deneb, and the war is conducted by long-range weapons controlled by computers which are expensive and hard to replace. Myron Aub, a low grade Technician, discovers how to reverse-engineer the principles of mathematics from computers - a development which is later dubbed "Graphitics". The discovery is appropriated by the military establishment, who use it to re-invent their understanding of mathematics. They also plan to replace their computer-operated ships with lower cost, more expendable (in their opinion) manned ships to continue the war.

Aub is so upset by the appropriation of his discovery for military purposes that he commits suicide. As Aub's funeral proceeds, his supervisor realizes that even with Aub dead, the advancement of Graphitics is unstoppable. He executes simple multiplications in his mind, which gives him a great feeling of power.

Back
Top Bottom