Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are discussing ccr cave diving through restrictions. Not deciding if they should sign up for AOW. 100 dives is not a baseline I would use as an experienced diver in this context.
well let's put it that way he did acquire some experience along these 100 dive. problems and situation could like those
We are discussing ccr cave diving through restrictions. Not deciding if they should sign up for AOW. 100 dives is not a baseline I would use as an experienced diver in this context.
what i mean he did get experience during these 100 dive. Doesn't really matter if you have 100 dive or 5000 **** could happen to anyone no matter your level of experience.
100 cave dives at Full cave level of certification is not a baseline level of experience that I would consider really enough for ccr cave thru major restrictions with gear removal. But what do I know...

I have only met them once. And they were very friendly. I have no beef with them at all.
In that one 20 minute encounter, I think Dive Talk and them being very famous was mentioned 374 times.
I find it INCREDIBLY hard to believe it wasn't mentioned.
Oh, I agree. I want to see the transcripts of Gus phone calls, before I will believe what he said in the video about being treated like any other member, which right now doesn't sound so appealing.

There’s other insurances. According to DANs policy they do not cover evacs that they do not arrange.
OK... but if DAN's internal system results in a lag in response to a fully eligible emergency because of their own administrative inability or incapacity or "red tape", then they still should still reimburse the cost if a person is able to arrange and pay for any other reasonable and available means of evac.

DAN is no different than any other insurance company. Their primary purpose and goal as a for profit business is to collect as much premium as possible and pay out as little as possible. The rub is that DAN uses their acronym to fool many divers into thinking that they are the only and single and best option for a specific risk group........DIVERS! Smoke and mirrors!

He didn't say why he even had that tank to begin with.

Doesn't really matter if you have 100 dive or 5000 **** could happen to anyone no matter your level of experience.
It matters a lot. It isn't that stuff doesn't happen or you don't make mistakes. It is more when you are on the far end of that spectrum, you aren't seeing it for the first time. There was a Capt Sully quote from his plane landing in the river that very much applies to this.

"For 42 years, I've been making small, regular deposits in this bank of experience, education, and training. On January 15, the balance was sufficient so that I could make a very large withdrawal"

100 cave dives at Full cave level of certification is not a baseline level of experience that I would consider really enough for ccr cave thru major restrictions with gear removal. But what do I know...
Exactly, what do you know. Do you have 100 cave dives yet this year? Slacker.

Doesn't really matter if you have 100 dive or 5000 **** could happen to anyone no matter your level of experience.
Really? You really think there is nothing to learn after the 100th dive that might prevent or at least mitigate ****?

We disagree on the DAN timeline and what DAN could do. The only reason Woody made it of Abaco and to a chamber was because he paid out of pocket 28k. DAN told woody it’d be 24 hours minimum. Woody is in and out of consciousness and realizes he’s on his own to get to a chamber. As we all know, it’s prudent to get into a chamber ASAP or risk permanent damage. Woody arranged a flight in an hour by using google. In a true emergency seems DAN is pretty useless
Again, travel medical and / or riders of existing insurance and a thorough reading of DAN documentation (those lengthy DAN documents that were so lambasted in that YouTube account, involving existing medical coverage and that of your employer, spouse's, ad nauseum? I have had those filled out for years.) -- and some paltry acceptance of that most basic though endangered of human traits: personal responsibility, for risky behavior in the sticks . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom