Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, DAN is not worthless. I've never had a dive accident but DAN has paid out about $20K to me for medical cancellation of trips over the last 20 years. Never even the slightest issue with a claim.

Did they finally say what it was? Last I'd heard was it is so just an incident with Woody getting evac.

Just watched it.
DAN comes across like the fyre festival of dive insurance.
Do you have dive insurance?

Just remember, diving in a foreign country you should have the funds to cover your care until insurance kicks in. Unlike the US or many of the socialized medicine countries, there is no duty to care. They will want funding for treatment before providing it. This has been explained by quite a few SB members who needed treatment overseas.

Like or hate divetalk people need to watch before throwing out opinions.

The issue wasn't whether they reimbursed a claim or not.

The issue was that if Woody didn't have 25k+ available to pay out of his pocket he wasn't going to get treatment for type 2 neuro DCS.

It appears DAN was going to take 24+hours to get an evac after having them jump through a bunch of hoops and having to argue a bunch with DAN about it. Ultimately woody paid himself (8k). Then, after that, they approved a chamber ride but weren't going to pay to get them into the hospital. Woody had to cough up more cash (18k!) on the spot to get into the chamber.

At this point I take everything they say with a grain of salt. Could be but I suspect there is a lot more to it.
Why would you doubt their story? DAN has not impressed me in my one urgent interaction with them. Guy ended up permanently paralyzed. Their incompetence delayed treatment.
No, DAN is not worthless. I've never had a dive accident but DAN has paid out about $20K to me for medical cancellation of trips over the last 20 years. Never even the slightest issue with a claim.
That is not why people need DAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom