Question Does Dan TRIP insurance include scuba medical coverage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caito

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Simple question are there any exclusions for dive medical problems if I buy a Dan TRIP insurance policy for one trip? IE I can join Dan , not buy their scuba only medical insurance coverage since I only take a couple dive trips a year and on each trip I always purchase travel insurance. I looked at the DAN trip ins. policy and I did not see medical insurance exclusions for diving. Did I miss something?

Question is, why?
It's not expensive and it's usually hectic before any dive trip with all the planning. Opens yourself to mistakes and possibility of forgeting it.
Of course, YMMV

I talked to DAN , yes travel ins covers diving with its medical coverage above 130 ft. You do not need to be a DAN member to get DAN travel ins.
I remember this in terms of purchasing per trip. I don't think DAN considered that different style dive trips might need more catered packages.

wait does regular DAN insurance have depth limits?
DAN membership doesn't cover diving accidents. It allows you to purchase DAN dive accident insurance and includes some coverage for medically needed transport.

DAN dive accident insurance does not have depth limits. (There is an exclusion going for depth records I guess >330m?)

DAN trip insurance (does Not require DAN membership) is underwritten by Generali and they have an exclusion about diving deeper than 131ft / 40m.

Reactions: OTF
Isn’t it a bit misleading to say there is no depth limit? I may be wrong, but from the way I always thought about it, one is expected to dive within one’s certification limit else the insurance claim may be rejected. That is to say a dive plan is expected to be within the limits of one’s certification - I suppose downcurrent situations are treated as an exception.

DAN membership doesn't cover diving accidents. It allows you to purchase DAN dive accident insurance and includes some coverage for medically needed transport.

DAN dive accident insurance does not have depth limits. (There is an exclusion going for depth records I guess >330m?)

DAN trip insurance (does Not require DAN membership) is underwritten by Generali and they have an exclusion about diving deeper than 131ft / 40m.
So if you stick with the dive plan, why not just get the trip insurance? Does the dive insurance have specific provisions that would be beneficial? The first two require a double purchase.

Oh you're a divemaster! I guess that is different if you already have the membership full time :)

So if you stick with the dive plan, why not just get the trip insurance? Does the dive insurance have specific provisions that would be beneficial? The first two require a double purchase.

DAN Dive insurance goes up to 500k medical where as DAN trip insurance only goes to 100k medical.
Dive insurance is good for a year where trip insurance might be for one trip or annual coverage (at higher cost)

Some people may not be taking a trip, it's just that their medical insurance excludes "extreme" activity like scuba diving, or doesn't provide enough $$ for emergency transport and treatment

DAN membership is good for other things, not just access to their dive insurance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom