Dive insurance for travel only (not medical)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for a dive travel insurance that covers trip cancelation, luggage delays and damage, etc. I have comprehensive medical insurance that includes scuba diving accidents. I also have DAN for medical evacuation and hyperbolic chambers.

I don't want to 'double pay' for a travel insurance with medical coverage. Just need coverage for flight delays, lost luggage etc.
Any suggestions?

AIG Travel insurance is what I use for travel. They have several options

As you're in Thailand you may need to read policies carefully to make sure you have the coverage you think you do. There could be some exclusions because the laws in that country are different.

As for me, I put all my travel expenses on an American Express Platinum card as that provides plenty of coverage for trip delay/cancellation, baggage, evacuation, lost passport, etc.

Insurance providers are only permitted to offer insurance to those domicile in the country they provide products in. In your case you must use an insurer based (or has an office) in Thailand.

This situation came to light when BSAC had to use local insurers for our Third-Party Liability insurance for members not domicile in the U.K.

It sounds like you want just regular travel insurance- the fact that you're traveling to dive should have nothing to do with it. Just look up regular travel insurance- most will offer medical coverage but I'm not sure how you would find a policy that doesn't offer that.

DAN offers travel insurance - by the trip or for the year.

That's a very good input - Thanks! Unfortunately that limits the number of options even more, not many good insurance providers here in Thailand

Insurance providers are only permitted to offer insurance to those domicile in the country they provide products in. In your case you must use an insurer based (or has an office) in Thailand.

This situation came to light when BSAC had to use local insurers for our Third-Party Liability insurance for members not domicile in the U.K.

your standard travel insurance will only cover recreational diving so DAN is necessary if your going tech - I have the DAN annual travel cover and it works if your doing 3 or more trips a year- I wish i could give you a recommendation as im currently in the process of making a claim if it come though in the next couple of weeks will post the info - Ive heard dive assure is good but dont know first hand

My credit card, Chase Sapphire Reserve seems to have pretty good travel coverage for the items you have listed. Aside from that, there is always a mask in my bag wherever I travel with my DAN guardian policy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom