Is anyone diving the Hollis prism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on Bonzanic's book
A couple of those on your list and especially the IANTD one (IANTD Tek CCR Diver Manual) are a waste of paper and money honestly.
Which books are a waste? I haven’t purchased them yet except jill heinerth’s which I am Almost done reading. (Be done today). What is the title of bonzanic’s book title? Mastering rebreathers? 2007 edition?

Found 2nd edition 2010. Bought it on the way. Thank you for the recommendation. Of the previous books I mentioned.... what of them should I not waste my money on?

Dive P2 for 2.5 years. The major issue was a crack in the O2 manual add valve which was replaced with the new steel version. Have to admit that Hollis rebreather support is not the fastest one but it works and in general I have no regrets on my choice. Tried a couple others units during TDI Mission event but it was hard to evaluate the unit during ~20min shallow dive. Anyway I'm pretty happy with my P2. Finished MOD2 in the summer and plan to take MOD3 early next year.

The Bozanic book is good, but it's also practically a college level textbook on rebreathers. Consume it in small bites.

The Pyle article mentioned above has some good information, but also includes some dated procedures that no one would recommend anymore (manually mixing gas in the event of a total electronics failure, for example). However, his very candid recounting of several self-inflicted problems provides some valuable lessons for those that are willing to learn.

My wife and I each have a Prism2. We both are happy about purchasing them and I have no major qualms. Note, neither of us have used any other unit so I don't have a direct basis for comparison but we do see plenty of other models around us. One aspect to consider is that they are in the lower price range compared to many other CCR units. Those few thousands of dollars may allow you to purchase other important equipment (i.e. NERD), spares, tools, etc which could be tough to do with a very pricey unit. In my opinion, the lower cost of the P2 in no way makes it less capable or less safe than other ECCR's but potentially the opposite for the previously stated reason.

My 2cents.

-Scott

My wife and I each have a Prism2. We both are happy about purchasing them and I have no major qualms. Note, neither of us have used any other unit so I don't have a direct basis for comparison but we do see plenty of other models around us. One aspect to consider is that they are in the lower price range compared to many other CCR units. Those few thousands of dollars may allow you to purchase other important equipment (i.e. NERD), spares, tools, etc which could be tough to do with a very pricey unit. In my opinion, the lower cost of the P2 in no way makes it less capable or less safe than other ECCR's but potentially the opposite for the previously stated reason.

My 2cents.

-Scott

what units are you talking about? Only two I can think of off the top of my head are the X-CCR and Meg15. All the others are in that same $9k range

Tried a couple others units during TDI Mission event but it was hard to evaluate the unit during ~20min shallow dive.

A useful thing to learn in a try dive is how the unit goes together. Before owning one, a not so obvious (to me at least) aspect of rebreathers is how they differ in the complexity of replacing the lime and rebuilding or drying out the cells.

The obvious aim for a try dive is how they feel in the water, maybe how the electronics behave. These sorts of practicalities matter too,

I don’t know the next time I’ll be back stateside, but if you haven’t bought a unit yet I’ll bring up my SF2 and my Pelagian and you can take a look at them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom