Choosing my first rebreather SF2 vs JJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my MOD1 in Key Largo in a JJ with the stock steel B/P in a 3mm wetsuit.
I still needed to add 2# to the tops of my 3l tanks for trim, because I was leg heavy (no problem with subsequent drysuit). I'm 70kg; 1.75m - your average male.
In the water, JJ is NOT a heavy CCR. And out of the water, its rep as a heavy unit is really exaggerated.
Maybe in the GUE setup with dual LP50's, but that's not my config.
I primarily dive in Okinawa where diving in a drysuit is more of a "nice to have". I am not fan of the idea on overweighing my unit for trim. Even with my SF2 in 3mm or 5mm i am about 4-6 LBS too heavy.

One day if there is a JJ instructor close by, I'll take a crossover course to JJ and feel it for myself. So far, the instructors I reached out to wanted me to teach MOD 1 all over again for $1500 or more. the recertification process on a new unit is whats holding me back.
Hope you get the chance and at less than those prices..

There is no perfect rebreather, it’s inherent that they all have a death ring (o ring that keeps scrubbed and un scrubbed gasses apart)

Where is the death O-ring in my rEvo? I have not been able to find one.

I dive an SF2, and are past 100 dives. I love the unit and can not recall all the problems with the unit, mentioned in this post. Yes, it is a little harder to breathe, head straight up or down, but not impossible at all. I do not notice the increased wob anymore. Furthermore the unit is sleek (sdt. version) and exceptionally easy to clean and maintain. It is super dry and the CL is soo easy to drain - if water enters the system. To date i have never flooded the unit. It is super easy to convert to side mount, and it is possible to configure the SF2 in several ways. I dive it with at GUE set up, with 2 x 6.7l carbon tanks as dil out, and a 3l. alu tank for O2, this works perfect for me as i never go deeper than 35 meters (almost impossible in Denmark) as i do a lot of shore diving. Furthermore it is solid as a tank! Feel free to PM me for pics of my set up or questions..

Hmm how bad would JJ be for air travel? I understand it’s almost 20kg without the tanks and sorbs
I have never had one so I can not tell you more than what I already did.

I understand u must be slightly off trim to have a good/ decent WOB?
You need to be pretty good in trim and horizontal to have a good WOB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom