Question Prism Correction for Dive Masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$384. Just a tad expensive....
Cmon how much have you spent on diving and gear over the past 10 or 20 years?

You know the old saying. Why are prisms so expensive? Because they're worth it!

By the way, was that the quoted price for one or two prisms? I could possibly save you 50%.

Exactly right. One of the two main purposes of Fresnel lenses is to trial the patient prior to ordering expensive ground prescription lenses.

You said you "tried them and they didn't work". I figured- and please correct me if I was mistaken- that you you applied them to your dive mask and not surprisingly found them to be a waste of time, effort and money for the reasons detailed in my earlier post on this thread.
I of course appreciate your input. It is unfortunate that it conflicts with that of my ophthalmologist and my optometrist, who both suggested I might try them before spending the real money. It was not an expensive test.
When I said they "didn't work," I meant not as a permanent solution. They indeed corrected the double-vision, but of course degraded the vision otherwise. the test (in my mind) was how much vision degradation would I get and was it tolerable. It was not,.
As to not having not done my research....my OP was part of that, along with much googling and other web-searching, and discussions with my eye-doctors.
I'm curious; how would I have "asked you first" other than the OP? I assume you have some credentials (or at least special knowledge) in this subject; how would I know that?

I of course appreciate your input. It is unfortunate that it conflicts with that of my ophthalmologist and my optometrist, who both suggested I might try them before spending the real money. It was not an expensive test.
When I said they "didn't work," I meant not as a permanent solution. They indeed corrected the double-vision, but of course degraded the vision otherwise. the test (in my mind) was how much vision degradation would I get and was it tolerable. It was not,.
As to not having not done my research....my OP was part of that, along with much googling and other web-searching, and discussions with my eye-doctors.
I'm curious; how would I have "asked you first" other than the OP? I assume you have some credentials (or at least special knowledge) in this subject; how would I know that?
Your OD and OMD are probably not scuba divers or they never would have suggested you try it in the first place. Fresnel prisms will never provide sufficient visual acuity in the underwater environment in which divers operate.

Again as far as "you should have asked me first", I was trying a joke there in effect saying "I could have told you that" (had I known). Forget it, we're beating that one to death, it wasn't funny and I can appreciate why it didn't really make sense.

So are you still diving with double vision, or do you wear a patch,or wear glasses with an Rx that intentionally blurs the (doubled) vision in the non dominant eye to make it less obvious, or just do your best to try to suppress the second image possibly by turning your head a bit to one side so your nose blocks the visual input from the non dominant eye?

As per my other post above, the price you were quoted was that for one prism or two? Because if it was for two, depending on the dioptric amount, you might be able to get by with just one and save half the cost off a pair of surfaced prismatic lenses.

I have sufficient galucoma in my non-dominant eye that I can function without the prism correction; what the brain sees from that eye is used for depth perception, mostly. My photography -- using a dominate eye viewfinder -- is unimpeded. It is working out OK. Sure, I'd love everything to be perfect, but the double-vision is the least of it, and I correct for it only when driving and reading.
Thanks for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom