Is anyone diving the Hollis prism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cyborg Pirate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking into moving into the CCR world. The prism is looking to be my first choice. Anyone have experience with this unit? Tips, accessories I should also buy, cases etc? Thank you

why did the Prism become your first choice?
Availability of instruction, parts, service, were really the big reasons over the others I have researched. I looked at jj, dive right o2ptima, Revo, kiss, x-ccr.

All seem to be really close. Each has its strong points and such. Prism had more of the previous mentioned that won it over the others. Kiss was quickly ruled out as I prefer eccr then mccr. Prism gives me both options

Tbone I always value ur opinions, what is ur thinking?

@Cyborg Pirate there is a lot of potential volatility with that company, history of poor customer service, and several buddies that have not had good luck with that unit in particular.

Of that list
JJ-Great unit, but limited instruction
O2ptima-of that list would probably be the top for me, ticks all of your boxes. Why did the Prism beat the O2ptima out for you?
Revo-would be out because of customer service
KISS-you ruled out because of mCCR
X-CCR-stupid expensive for what it is

@Cyborg Pirate there is a lot of potential volatility with that company, history of poor customer service, and several buddies that have not had good luck with that unit in particular.

Of that list
JJ-Great unit, but limited instruction
O2ptima-of that list would probably be the top for me, ticks all of your boxes. Why did the Prism beat the O2ptima out for you?
Revo-would be out because of customer service
KISS-you ruled out because of mCCR
X-CCR-stupid expensive for what it is
You nailed all the disqualification factor s for each one on the head. I am concerned with the issues with Hollis you mentioned. My buddies here have not had any of those issues. I have only read about them. As for availability.... they are out of Utah. That’s just north of me and I am from there. So going there is not an added expense. (However I have multiple buddies and instructors on the prism here to learn and dive with) the dive rite is the runner up for me. But here in az.... I have to go to Florida to train. New baby and my work does not really allow for the added time away and travel expenses right now. I’m years away from CCR if I go that route. Basically doubles the cost of the unit for me. I am not one to be cheap esp wen it deals with tech diving. But 20k for what I can get here for 9k momma won’t approve either.

On that note I don’t finance anything so it’s all cash in hand or nothing. So the additional 11k for travel and classes ( not figuring time away from work) really puts a no on the jj and the o2ptima. Just do to lack of availability and instruction for me here in Az. It actually moved up the x-ccr. Also out of Utah. But again it’s expensive as hell. The one person I know that has one has a few issues intermittently with sensors

On that note I don’t finance anything so it’s all cash in hand or nothing. So the additional 11k for travel and classes ( not figuring time away from work) really puts a no on the jj and the o2ptima. Just do to lack of availability and instruction for me here in Az. It actually moved up the x-ccr. Also out of Utah. But again it’s expensive as hell. The one person I know that has one has a few issues intermittently with sensors
I am not sure how you get to 11k extra for instruction and travel for a JJ.

If you came to the U.K. to do it it would be maybe 1500usd in flights, 500 in car hire, 500 in hotels and 1000 in instruction. That is only 3k and a very inefficient way.

I don’t about the prism much, but the Explorer seems to have been left high and dry and Oceanic/Hollis aren’t looking at their best.

JJs are made by people who only do that one thing. Inspirations are made by people who own the market, have been at it a long time and really care about rebreathers. The XCCR has some advantages, and if I were starting today I would certainly consider it.

I am not sure how you get to 11k extra for instruction and travel for a JJ.

If you came to the U.K. to do it it would be maybe 1500usd in flights, 500 in car hire, 500 in hotels and 1000 in instruction. That is only 3k and a very inefficient way.

I don’t about the prism much, but the Explorer seems to have been left high and dry and Oceanic/Hollis aren’t looking at their best.

JJs are made by people who only do that one thing. Inspirations are made by people who own the market, have been at it a long time and really care about rebreathers. The XCCR has some advantages, and if I were starting today I would certainly consider it.
It’s the multiple flights back and forth for the additional classes, cost of additional classes, and the hotel stays, car rental. Etc.

I failed to mention I am getting the entire prism, with BOV, bottles and first 3 class modules for the same 9k.

I live on the lake. So the training comes to me.

I am listening and valuing the opinions given. Reviewing to see if I have missed anything. Obviously this is a big ticket item. I am and have been reading researching a lot and really weighing out the options. All of them. So please keep them coming. If there is something I haven’t thought of I want to consider it before I pull the trigger. .

Following thread as well and was leaning towards P2 for the same reasons, availability of service, instruction, support. Buddies dive with rEvo and SF2s; seems everyone seems to run into issues at some time or another.

Here is a little different angle from a fellow newcomer (2015 I began rebreather diving.)

I've put two kegs of sorb through a prism 2. I wouldn't purchase one unless it was ~2000$ and came with service kits.

I can't guess the future but given the way the other rebreather by the same company had all support and service discontinued without much warning I no longer trust the company to not leave the product high and dry.

For instruction, I don't want the fact there are 500 instructors available to be a factor when all I need is a couple extraordinary master teachers/mentors might be willing to travel (or do a few holiday trips to visit them). Quality instruction is nearly priceless, I don't value quantity.

For me on a rebreather I wanted simplicity, capacity and what I consider safety as the biggest deciding factors... (as a result I'll eventually get an older Meg [or something SM] and currently dive a homebuild and the prism topaz.)

Cameron

Back
Top Bottom