Is anyone diving the Hollis prism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

negatory. I think one or two of the agencies require the instructor to be diver certified on the students rebreather, but I can't remember which. @kensuf do you know off hand the rules?

The rule is that to teach MOD 2 or MOD 3, the instructor must be an instructor on the students rebreather. Although I am diver level qualified on the KISS, Meg, and Fathom, I can only teach MOD2 or MOD3 to SF2 divers.

The only CCR course which an instructor can teach by only being diver level certified is overhead courses (CCR Cave, I guess CCR Mine diver but haven't read those standards).

The rule is that to teach MOD 2 or MOD 3, the instructor must be an instructor on the students rebreather. Although I am diver level qualified on the KISS, Meg, and Fathom, I can only teach MOD2 or MOD3 to SF2 divers.

The only CCR course which an instructor can teach by only being diver level certified is overhead courses (CCR Cave, I guess CCR Mine diver but haven't read those standards).

ah hah, ok that makes sense, thanks for clarification.

You have to do all the academics and in-water skills of MOD 2 (plus have the hours) before you can progress to MOD 3.

There is some flexibility in CCR Crossovers from one unit to another, where a diver can get upgraded quickly if they're already MOD3 on one unit. But there's no credit given for OC experience except in the initial deco course (MOD1).

To clarify a few things.

Currently, if teaching MOD 2 or MOD 3, the instructor teaching the course only needs to be certified as a diver on the unit they are diving, but they must be an instructor on the unit the student is diving.

So, I would be allowed to teach MOD 2 to an SF2 diver while I was diving a Meg.

RESA's working on changing this.

That's not how this works.

He will still have to meet the qualifications for MOD2 on the rebreather before he can do MOD3. The only thing you can get OC credit for is Air DIL versus Air DIL Deco/Helitrox DIL Deco.

So if you're OC Helitrox you can go straight into Helitrox CCR without issue?

So if you're OC Helitrox you can go straight into Helitrox CCR without issue?

Yes. TDI calls the course Helitrox, IANTD calls it Advanced Recreational Trimix.

Awesome! Thank you for the clarification. Now I am also reading a number of books before I make a purchase and obviously before class starts. Kensuf thoughts?

Basics of CCR by Jill Heineth
rebreathers simplified by Mel Clarke
CCR trimix simplified by Mel Clarke
TDI diving rebreathers

I am already finishing up Jill’s book. I will be starting Rebreathers simplified this week. Then TDI’s book. I won’t start the CCR Trimix book till I am closer to mod 2. Basically I want to be well versed before class starts so I know more of what I don’t know. Have questions that actually are good questions not just “how to I turn this on”

When I first started diving CCR, I read a lot of material that Richard Pyle had put on the web.

It covered a lot, theory, maintenance, safety procedures etc. Probably the most valuable and informative where his list of
'mistakes', or lessons learnt. What the initial error was, why he dived, what problems resulted, how he got out of the water safely, and a conclusion or lessons learnt.

I think this is the link.
http://www.ultimatedivelog.com/articles/9.pdf

When I first started diving CCR, I read a lot of material that Richard Pyle had put on the web.

It covered a lot, theory, maintenance, safety procedures etc. Probably the most valuable and informative where his list of
'mistakes', or lessons learnt. What the initial error was, why he dived, what problems resulted, how he got out of the water safely, and a conclusion or lessons learnt.

I think this is the link.
http://www.ultimatedivelog.com/articles/9.pdf
Awesome!!! Thank you. I try to be well educated about things before and after a class. I do not and have never settled for the bare minimum. So any advice given is taken and used one way or another.

Get Jeff Bozanic's book. It's the best out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom