Apart from a JJ CCR, what else do I need to order?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why carbon? Buoyancy?

Heavy duty back mounted units like the JJ are generally very negative. It was designed as a dry suite deep exploration unit. In a wet suite with 4 boilouts, and 3 onboard tanks you are very negative. I actually need to use a larger wing than the stock one im so negative if I dive it in a wetsuite.

Taking 2kg off helps.

But diving it in a dry suite is sooooo much nicer, well really just diving in general in a dry suite is an all around better experience.

Curious,
You have tried a JJ and others before buying right?
I like the JJ don’t get me wrong but I would consider XCCR also, or even rEvo? or is this a GUE oriented CCR?
As already stated the unit should be spec,d with set point controller and backup, (shearwater) if you’ve no real financial concerns the backup that I use is a Nerd2 which once used you’ll never want to be without, as for the rest it depends on what your doing, on rebreathers I always have a thick stainless backplate with butt rail, but then I’m only 5’6 and here in the uk it’s full santi heated undersuit with drysuit for me year round, I usually have 3ltr O2 / Dil and used to run 2ltr backup O2 and 2ltr suit inflation, I prefer a DSV to BOV but that’s because I’m mainly hypoxic,

Best of luck

Also, I intend to buy a Petrel 3. Should I get 4-pin, EXT Fischer, something else, or none of the above?
New JJ comes with a Petrel 3 controller and a HUD. You don't need to get another monitor unless you want to use NERD.

Have a talk with your instructor. They should have a list of what you need for the class. From spares to bailouts and consumables.

Long term, start shopping for extra 3L cylinders and a booster.

BZ200 + factory JJ CCR configuration + SS plate + 300BAR 3L Fabers - I need additional weight (4lbs).

Matan.

1) JJ-CCR Head/Sensor Protector - to protect head when drying/traveling/etc - example: JJCCR Head Protector | Rebreathers USA
2) Spare - Ultralife Solenoid Battery - backup
--> Other 9-Volt batteries are not shape the same and probably won't fit in the JJ-CCR Head.
3) Spare - AA Battery
4) Rebreather O-ring kit
5) Tools:
A) TORX T-20 Screwdriver - to get access to battery compartments
B) Toothbrushes for cleaning connection points
C) O-ring pick/removal tool
6) Lub for the o-rings assembling
7) Lots of copies of the checklist or checklist app for tracking assembly/cell linearity/battery voltage
8) Depending on your diving you enjoy, in the future you may want to considered a cave-shield. There is one currently for sale on the bookFace.

This is a first revision that others will surely add to.
One thing of many to remember, as wtl all devices that run off batteries, if the device is not going to in use for a while, be sure to remove the batteries to prevent the acid from leaking out. Many a shearwater were sent for repair due to divers being out of the water for awhile and not removing the battery. This is particular a problem with alkaline batteries with the hydrogen gas build up over time, but lithium batteries will also leak if not properly stored/maintained.

Good Diving.

Curious,
I like the JJ don’t get me wrong but I would consider XCCR also, or even rEvo?
Maybe some thread drift, but having dived both JJ and rEvo now, a few pros of JJ:
- Simpler overall, protected & less cluttered design of the internals
- Stable frame, easy to reconfigure
- frame bar easy clipping point for cylinders etc
- external, accessible ADV
- not actually much heavier than the Revo (a couple kg?)
- exhale counterlung sequesters liquid more effectively

rEvo offers the more complex sensor, canister, CMF and temp stick configs which certainly do add some interesting features and operating modes. It's a bit much for a new CCR diver and probably not all necessary. But I guess handy for pros logging 8 hrs/day filming for weeks in remote places when you might keep diving a no deco job with one or more bits gone awry

Maybe some thread drift, but having dived both JJ and rEvo now, a few pros of JJ:
- Simpler overall, protected & less cluttered design of the internals
- Stable frame, easy to reconfigure
- frame bar easy clipping point for cylinders etc
- external, accessible ADV
- not actually much heavier than the Revo (a couple kg?)
- exhale counterlung sequesters liquid more effectively

rEvo offers the more complex sensor, canister, CMF and temp stick configs which certainly do add some interesting features and operating modes. It's a bit much for a new CCR diver and probably not all necessary. But I guess handy for pros logging 8 hrs/day filming for weeks in remote places when you might keep diving a no deco job with one or more bits gone awry
Yeah this is exactly it, none are perfect, all have pluses and minuses, imo JJ lungs can be damaged easily, the xccr is better in that aspect, also has clever O ring protectors but I’m pretty sure is heavier, rEvo smaller, uses two or three grains of lime (I think) etc etc, Completely agree about bailouts easy to clip on JJ stand though.
Horses for courses (and sizes) 👍

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom