Is anyone diving the Hollis prism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW I am taking the IANTD Prism 2 Air diluent and IANTD CCR ART as a combined class now and have been told that once i have the requisite hours on the unit i can jump straight to the full hypoxic trimix course.

FWIW I am taking the IANTD Prism 2 Air diluent and IANTD CCR ART as a combined class now and have been told that once i have the requisite hours on the unit i can jump straight to the full hypoxic trimix course.

So you can go to a full hypoxic trimix CCR course without any multigas decompression prerequisites? That seems odd. Air dil isn't a deco course and ART is 15 minutes one gas.

Do you have OC hypoxic trimix and AN/DP already and you're just doing the CCR portion of it?

Interesting. Who is your instructor? And, if they are affiliated with a shop, what shop?

When I was looking at an IANTD crossover, I was informed that to do Trimix diver, I needed to be Normoxic (60m) or Normoxic Plus (70m) certified. That certainly agrees with the standards:

Prerequisites
1. Certifications requirements:
a. Open Circuit, must be qualified in:
I. IANTD Technical Diver, Technical Cave Diver, Technical Wreck Diver, Normoxic Trimix Diver or
equivalent
b. Rebreather, must be qualified in:
I. (RB) Must be qualified as an IANTD Normoxic Rebreather Diver or equivalent.

►► NOTE: If the student is also certified as Trimix Diver (Open Circuit) and have the 100
hours on the unit specific, the CCR Normoxic Class can be combined with the CCR Trimix Class if
the Instructor is also a CCR Trimix Instructor.
►► NOTE: Must be taking the Normoxic Rebreather Diver and Rebreather Trimix Diver course on an
approved Rebreather for mixed gas diving, with all dives other than confined water made on Trimix
or Heliox.
►► NOTE: RCCR or RSCR divers shall not do this program

IF you are already OC Trimix certified and have 100 hours then you can do Normoxic and Hypoxic in one class. Note, that doesn't remove any dives or training, just the dives between courses you would usually do.

When I was looking at an IANTD crossover, I was informed that to do Trimix diver, I needed to be Normoxic (60m) or Normoxic Plus (70m) certified. That certainly agrees with the standards:

Prerequisites
1. Certifications requirements:
a. Open Circuit, must be qualified in:
I. IANTD Technical Diver, Technical Cave Diver, Technical Wreck Diver, Normoxic Trimix Diver or
equivalent
b. Rebreather, must be qualified in:
I. (RB) Must be qualified as an IANTD Normoxic Rebreather Diver or equivalent.

►► NOTE: If the student is also certified as Trimix Diver (Open Circuit) and have the 100
hours on the unit specific, the CCR Normoxic Class can be combined with the CCR Trimix Class if
the Instructor is also a CCR Trimix Instructor.
►► NOTE: Must be taking the Normoxic Rebreather Diver and Rebreather Trimix Diver course on an
approved Rebreather for mixed gas diving, with all dives other than confined water made on Trimix
or Heliox.
►► NOTE: RCCR or RSCR divers shall not do this program

IF you are already OC Trimix certified and have 100 hours then you can do Normoxic and Hypoxic in one class. Note, that doesn't remove any dives or training, just the dives between courses you would usually do.

Are the actual IANTD standards accessible to the general public anywhere? TDI standards are available to anyone to download, but I have never been able to find the IANTD standards.

And that is kinda sucky when I have also emailed IANTD HQ with questions and gotten no response there, either. (other than an auto-reply that says thank you for your email, we will respond to it ASAP)

Are the actual IANTD standards accessible to the general public anywhere? TDI standards are available to anyone to download, but I have never been able to find the IANTD standards.

And that is kinda sucky when I have also emailed IANTD HQ with questions and gotten no response there, either. (other than an auto-reply that says thank you for your email, we will respond to it ASAP)
I do not believe they are freely available. That excerpt is from the 21.6.1 version updated March 6 2018

I am doing my training with John Conway I don't think he is affiliated with a shop. We had enough people here to do a class half in nc and the open water portion in Florida.

@houdini0118 Cool. John Conway is the area Hollis rep. I have heard good things about him. One of my buddies here just started his training on a Prism 2. He tried to schedule with John, but they never were able to sync up, so he finally just anted up to train with a local shop that teaches the Prism.

Yea it did take quite a while to get the class setup as i bought the unit at the end of January and just got to dive it in the pool for the first time this past weekend. It worked out quite well for me though as i only have to miss one Friday instead of taking a whole week of for training. He is a really good instructor and he also wrote the book for the adv rec trimix class.

Something I learned today:

IANTD and TDI use different terms for the same thing.

IANTD says "Normoxic Trimix" and TDI says "Trimix".
IANTD says "Trimix" and TDI says "Advanced Trimix".

IANTD says that if a diver is OC Trimix, they can do IANTD Normoxic Trimix CCR and IANTD Trimix CCR as one long course (presuming they meet the other prereqs, like 100 hours on the unit).

I had (mis)interpreted that to mean that my TDI Trimix cert would qualify me to do that. I have realized now that I was incorrect. I would need to have TDI Adv Trimix in order to qualify to do IANTD Normoxic and Trimix CCR as one combined course.

I could imagine confusion resulting if an instructor asks "do you have Trimix certification" and they mean IANTD Trimix, and the student says "yes" but they mean TDI Trimix.

Back
Top Bottom