Is anyone diving the Hollis prism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Johnny,

I did, pulled the trigger on the P2. Every reason to do so. Spoke with a number of people from Hollis and Huish. It’s not going anywhere like the explorer did. They are adding back mount CL’s as an option to be seen next week at dema. (Supposedly in production as of now). But P2 is here for a long time. That was the major concern. As far as all the other stuff. It pairs up with where I am headed for a long while and at a price that cannot be touched all said and done. Not to say I won’t add another in the future but for now. Hollis Prism2 it is. Start the checkout dives tomorrow.

Thank you all
For the responses and insight. I have acquired and read all 5 of the books suggested and done a lot of research reading and talking to a number of different manufacturers as as instructors on different units. Read 3 different user manuals on my final 3 choices.

Get Jeff Bozanic's book. It's the best out there.

I have read through all of the books I mentioned before and finishing up
Mastering Rebreathers 2nd edition by Jeff Bozanic. In his book he sites his other book Mastering Rebreathers Vol 2. Does anyone know where I can find Vol 2? I have searched all over and can not locate a copy. Any tips? Again thank you all for the help, tips, insight and knowledge.

FWIW, I have been diving the Prism Topaz since 2002, the P1and P2 are great designs, lots of little details which make diving them easy, intuitive and safe. I’ve never missed a dive because the Prism is so flexible and simple. If Hollis had bothered to try and refine the P1 analog secondary, which is driven directly by the O2 sensors, I would’ve bought one. There will be parts for years to come because there are too many out there to not support it, even from a basic profit motive.

Yes .... so far I am more then happy with my decision. Loving the Prism 2

Thank you Johnny,

I did, pulled the trigger on the P2. Every reason to do so. Spoke with a number of people from Hollis and Huish. It’s not going anywhere like the explorer did. They are adding back mount CL’s as an option to be seen next week at dema. (Supposedly in production as of now). But P2 is here for a long time. That was the major concern. As far as all the other stuff. It pairs up with where I am headed for a long while and at a price that cannot be touched all said and done. Not to say I won’t add another in the future but for now. Hollis Prism2 it is. Start the checkout dives tomorrow.

Thank you all
For the responses and insight. I have acquired and read all 5 of the books suggested and done a lot of research reading and talking to a number of different manufacturers as as instructors on different units. Read 3 different user manuals on my final 3 choices.

Glad to hear you did the deed. I am sure you will be as happy as I am with your P2.

I have been diving my P2 for the past 4 years and not faced any issues while on a dive. Just received, installed and diving the new BMCL ... Game changer. ADV is a big improvement. WOB is the same as fmcl. Nice clean chest area. Loving this a lot.
Huish and Hollis rebreathers have been great to deal with and go me sorted quickly.

The HP2 is a solid unit. The scrubber takes time to pack but the great work of breating is the pay off. Loved diving mine in warm water, not much weight to carry. Now have a rEvo FT, also a good unit.

Best regards,

To clarify a few things.

Currently, if teaching MOD 2 or MOD 3, the instructor teaching the course only needs to be certified as a diver on the unit they are diving, but they must be an instructor on the unit the student is diving.

So, I would be allowed to teach MOD 2 to an SF2 diver while I was diving a Meg.

RESA's working on changing this.

Changing to what? Change it to where you have to dive the same unit you are teaching? You have to be an instructor on the unit you are diving as well as the unit you are teaching? You don't have to be an instructor on the unit the student is diving (when teaching MOD2 or 3)?

Since I'm asking questions, I have a couple of others:

- Are the IANTD standards for MOD2 and MOD3 posted online anywhere? The TDI standards are available for anyone to download, but all I can ever find for IANTD is what I consider "marketing/brochure material". The closest I find is this: IANTD World Headquarters - Trimix Diver (OC, Rebreather), which doesn't include the details on course requirements (e.g. number of dives, required profiles, etc.).

- If you meet all the IANTD prerequisites for the MOD3 class, except for not having MOD2 certification, can you do MOD2 and MOD3 as one course?

In other words, suppose (the prereqs for IANTD Full Trimix):

a diver has IANTD CCR ART certification (so, certified to a max of 170fsw, with helium)
they have logged over 200 dives (total)
they have logged over 100 hours on their unit
they have logged over 25 dives to depths greater than 140fsw

- Can that diver take MOD2 (normoxic trimix) and MOD3 (full trimix) as one combined class? Or, is there a mandatory break of some kind that is required between the MOD2 and MOD3 classes? If an experience break is not mandatory, is it still considered "highly recommended" (again, for the diver with all the experience listed)?

- If you can combine them, would that class be any shorter than simply running MOD2, then immediately running MOD3? I.e. would any of the dives or classroom sessions be able to be combined?

- On the prereq of 25 dives greater than 140fsw, do OC dives count towards that, or does the requirement specifically mean 25 dives greater than 140 on CCR?

Back
Top Bottom