Inexpensive ZHL-16C+GF computers in 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

insane “how long past NDL” weirdness,
There are exactly two companies out there who are responsive to their diving audience in near real time: Shearwater and Deep Six.
So complaining about a suboptimal implementation of one display field for divers going into deco (not the originally intended audience for a recreational computer) is just hating, IMO.
What are the factors that are REALLY important to the fringe group of zealous divers that are SB'ers? Customizable GF's, cost, form factor, logging and display. What have I left out?
On those counts, who wins? Not Suunto, not Aqualung, not Uwatec. It's between Deep Six and Shearwater.
* GF's? - a tie
* Cost? - Deep Six
* Form factor for size? - Deep Six
* Form factor for "pretty"? - Shearwater Teric $$$
* Logging? - a tie for proprietary programs, but Shearwater has the edge with Subsurface for now, but that may change
* Display? - Shearwater

Both companies listen. Change comes more slowly than we would like, but it's light speed compared to Suunto.
We're getting custom GF's for $350!!??
Deep Six is a slam dunk for a backup technical computer or a primary on a budget. And folks complaining about the manual (being rewritten) or the NDL display history (now TTS) need to just stop hating. I'm sure Deep Six would love to have Shearwater's capitalization. But try buying a great regulator from Shearwater! Jes' saying. And no, I don't want to pick a fight with @KenGordon , whom I respect.

I'm amazed at the criticism here given the video of the bets firmware showing proper deco requirements when NDL is exceeded

Is the charger the same one garmin uses?

There are exactly two companies out there who are responsive to their diving audience in near real time: Shearwater and Deep Six.
So complaining about a suboptimal implementation of one display field for divers going into deco (not the originally intended audience for a recreational computer) is just hating, IMO.

Funny thing really is since I did BSAC Sports diving courses and dives 1986 - 1988 where most dives were deco air planned I have always thought of deco dives as recreational diving. It was fun going to places like the Philippines and Thailand Indonesia where dive centers would ask you about your dive logs. The staff eyes would bulge out when they saw all these deco dives on air logged in.

Do not do that here we only do non deco dives. Don't even mention the word deco around our divers. Even our instructors and guides are not deco certified. lol PS love my Perdix which I use for lots of NDL dives.

Is the charger the same one garmin uses?
No, it is a different one they are not compatible. Garmin are patent wolves so I doubt any other charger will work on a Garmin product.

On the subject of earlier FW versions:

There was a ..... novel approach to showing a small NDL overshoot on the original factory firmware. Not an error, just a design choice made by the OEM. That was always going to be amended with the new, Deep6 authored firmware, but a LOT happened since then and like most companies, keeping solvent in a time of low stock delivery due to supply chain and price increases and everything else, the FW has been on the back burner for a bit.

They have (basically) finished it, been diving the final versions for a while now trying to throw everything a dumb diver would do trying to break it, and then it will be available as a free upgrade for every Excursion out there. Think about it, some folks bought them at under 200 USD on the initial offering deals and they will have scored a seriously sweet deal.

Deep6 does listen to their customers and potential customers and ridiculously often they accommodate them far beyond what any other company would do, just to receive a disproportionate amount of trolling / hate.

I have been diving a version of the latest build and I already have nearly 20 buyers lined up. For my money, there isn't a better answer to the newish diver "I want to go to tech eventually, but I am not 100% sure, what computer should I buy that I don't end up throwing away or using as a bottom timer only later on, without spending 1000$ on something I may never use to it's capability" question, which in the real world is always answered by "buy this cheap computer and then give it away later when you buy a Perdix PLUS a GF backup later" and online with "buy a Perdix, if you can't afford to risk that 1000$ you shouldn't be in such an expensive hobby anyway......stroke"

Oh and full disclosure: I am good friends with Chris and Landon in real life, however the reason I met them in the first place was reaching out after being so damn impressed with what they were doing as a company, that I needed to become more involved (recommending gear etc). I am not a shill for them, I receive zero money from them unless you buy something in person from me and thats just retail markup, same as any other brand.

OP, @d^2b , if you buy an Excursion with the new firmware and after 3 months are not convinced you got a great deal, I will buy it from you at your purchase price and I'll pay for shipping and a little on top for gas money.

Here's another dive computer running Bühlmann with adjustable GF for just € 567...

Here's another dive computer running Bühlmann with adjustable GF for just € 567...

Sure, but I live in Canada, so not much incentive to buy this more expensive computer as a backup for my Shearwater Peregrine. If I lived in Europe I might well have bought one of the OSTC computers instead of the Peregrine.

They have made it abundantly clear they have no intention of distributing those computers in North America which is why they don't get talked about on this board that often. They're very nice and I have asked them several times if they would, but each time it is the same answer.

It is also $650..... hardly the "inexpensive" (relatively speaking) the OP asked for...

For $650 you're into a lightly used SW...

in·ex·pen·sive -
adjective
  1. not costing a great deal; cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom