Inexpensive ZHL-16C+GF computers in 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am thinking about backup computers for my SW Peregrine. Looking ZHL-16C with custom gradient factors to match the Peregrine for NDLs. I guess if the GFs are documented I could in principle set the Peregrine to match. Subsurface compatibility would be a selling point. Obviously a second Peregrine would be an option, but it doesn't have to have a great display or ergonomics as a backup computer (although reasonably quick gas changes would be nice). I'm ultimately thinking of buying two of everything (also equiping a buddy), so that makes me a bit more price sensitive.

No custom gradient factors to match the Peregrine but the Pelagic DSAT program is very liberal(very important as a back up). $350.00 only.

No custom gradient factors to match the Peregrine but the Pelagic DSAT program is very liberal(very important as a back up). $350.00 only.
More expensive than the Crest/Deep 6 option.

I don't think we can criticize Suunto et al for being secretive about their algorithms unless we also criticize Oceanic/Aqua-Lung for being secretive about PZ+. Sure, it is Buhlman-based.....but after that we are just guessing. In any case, being able to set three levels of conservatism is not quite the same as being able to fully adjust the GFs. So, for that matter, Crest/Excursion are about the same right now -- three levels of conservatism -- but when the new Excursion firmware is released, it will have fully adjustable GFs. the Excursion will be kina class of its own. Not supported by Subsurface? Not very important, IMHO.

More expensive than the Crest/Deep 6 option.
To be fair, both the Oceanic Veo 4 and the Deep 6 Excursion are $350. The watch style Geo 4 is $410.

I dived a Geo 2 as a backup for 7 years, my son has been diving it for the last 5 years, a good, solid, reliable computer, just not Buhlmann. Between DSAT, PZ+, and those 2 algorithms with the conservative factors, the computer covers at least the same range as the 3 Shearwater presets.

To be fair, both the Oceanic Veo 4 and the Deep 6 Excursion are $350. The watch style Geo 4 is $410.

I dived a Geo 2 as a backup for 7 years, my son has been diving it for the last 5 years, a good, solid, reliable computer, just not Buhlmann. Between DSAT, PZ+, and those 2 algorithms with the conservative factors, the computer covers at least the same range as the 3 Shearwater presets.
The Geo 2 is a fine computer (my wife has one), the Geo 4 is better; the Veo 4 is good. Several Aqua-Lungs are good.
None is Buhlman with GFs, which is what the OP is looking for.

Ah, you got me about the price increases. Let's remember one thing, trimix is coming to the Excursion and is a significant differentiator.

and custom gradient factors which is far more important to me
it will have that too of course. I figured that was a given with trimix.

Yes, I pointed out, not Buhlmann. A backup computer does not necessarily have to run the same algorithm as your primary computer as long as it will not always be controlling your dive and is safe.
The Geo 2 is a fine computer (my wife has one), the Geo 4 is better; the Veo 4 is good. Several Aqua-Lungs are good.
None is Buhlman with GFs, which is what the OP is looking for.
I posted this recently in another thread to illustrate the mapping of DSAT, PZ+, DSAT with conservatism, and PZ+ with conservative to Buhlmann GF highs. This is 1st clean dive on air. Buhlmann, and at least DSAT, behave differently on repetitive dives. DSAT tends to behave more conservatively and/or Buhlmann tends to behave more liberally. Just food for thought. My "primary" computer is still running DSAT and my "backup" computer is running Buhlmann with GF. Both are air integrated, same transmitter. I do just fine with no stop and light deco dives, have for quite a while.

1643062341867.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom