Deep6 Excursion vs Genesis Centauri- which would you get now and why…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a huge fan of the Deep6 Excursion.....but I cannot recommend it for a diver's first computer until they manage to produce a user's manual for it, and preferable not until it is possible to download the dive data. It has been "real soon now" for too long.
It's pretty intuitive and you can download the data into SubSurface? Am I missing something?

@rob.mwpropane - I believe they added support in Subsurface before the new Excursion firmware came out. I just tried it unsuccessfully with the new firmware against subsurface-mobile. Data point of 1, of course.

@rob.mwpropane - I believe they added support in Subsurface before the new Excursion firmware came out. I just tried it unsuccessfully with the new firmware against subsurface-mobile. Data point of 1, of course.
You and @tursiops are right.. I have not tried to download since the new firmware, I just use my SW.. but that would definitely be a huge con for me looking at a new dc if I couldn't.

Bummer.

I am a huge fan of the Deep6 Excursion.....but I cannot recommend it for a diver's first computer until they manage to produce a user's manual for it, and preferable not until it is possible to download the dive data. It has been "real soon now" for too long.
What do you mean? I have a manual. it’s not the best written, but as a recreational diver, I can understand it. Plus I am able to download data. But I am using MacDive. I am also not using the new tech software. But I don’t need it.

I have the deep6, and have enjoyed it. I was one of the first buyers when it came out. I do prefer my Perdix AI (we have 2 Peregrines, 2 Perdix AI, and a Petrel1 in the family dive locker), but it is still a good pdc. I have yet to upgrade it because of the lack of download support with Subsurface.

If you don't want AI or a compass, it is a solid option.

What do you mean? I have a manual. it’s not the best written, but as a recreational diver, I can understand it. Plus I am able to download data. But I am using MacDive. I am also not using the new tech software. But I don’t need it.
The original Deep6 Excursion was a rebranded Crest computer, and had a manual rewritten from the Crest manual. DiveStory was an app supplied by Crest that allowed downloads, and the interface specs were on libdivecomputer so MacDive could read the BT uploads.
the current Deep6 Excursion has updated firmware, no manual, no app, and no interface specs available at libdivecomputer. It is a fine recreational computer -- better than the original Excursion, if only because of the planning software -- and a remarkably capable tech computer, which the original Excursion (yours) was almost unuseful for.
You have the original and are happy with it. Fine.
If one purchases an Excursion now it is not the original; it coes with the upgraded firmware.. That is what this thread and these comments have been about.

There was a discussion about these two in late Dec, 2021. As I recall, they both run Buhlmann but only the Centuri will lock you out if it gets upset.

The original Deep6 Excursion was a rebranded Crest computer, and had a manual rewritten from the Crest manual. DiveStory was an app supplied by Crest that allowed downloads, and the interface specs were on libdivecomputer so MacDive could read the BT uploads.
the current Deep6 Excursion has updated firmware, no manual, no app, and no interface specs at libdivecomputer. It is a fine recreational computer -- better than the original Excursion, if only because of the planning software -- and a remarkably capable tech computer, which the original Excursion (yours) was almost unuseful for.
You have the original and are happy with it. Fine.
If one purchases an Excursion now it is not the original; it coes with the upgraded firmware.. That is what this thread and these comments have been about.

Are you sure about that?

As for the original question, I'd go with the excursion vs a crest or genesis. The cost difference is trivial and you get a PDC that will work for you from OW to trimix. That's hard to beat.

I use them with OW students and they don't seem to have any issues figuring things out as far as programming goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom