Deep6 Excursion vs Genesis Centauri- which would you get now and why…

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HannaBanana

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All

Looking to get my first computer. My wife and I are only recreational divers…. AOW and typically diving nitrox. Mix of LOB and land based…. But typically doing multiple dives a day over a few days to a week…. I know at the heart these are both built on the Crest CR-4…. But wondering how different they are and if it matters…. Which is more supported…. Ease of getting the battery replaced…. Any major SW differences…. At $200 less than a shearwater peregrin, this is where I am leaning…. Also the shearwater is just plain huge…. Pros and cons On these? Both seems to have subsurface support now…. Thanks for any helpful info or thoughts on if there is something good at similar price points…

things I like…
1. bluetooth (no extra $75 spend on a data cable…😡)
2. backlighting seems good
3. Bühlmann ZHL 16c- I think…. I expect we might find the RBGM limiting, but our rented computers haven’t caused issues…. So who knows…
4. not enormous. ( I won’t wear it as a watch ever but …)
5. Price - $300-350 is great

thins I may not like
1. it’s small…. Yeah I know…. But aging eyes. Think that with multi focal contacts on I can read this ok….
2. color screen could be nice

Sure would love current views. There was a post directly comparing a few years back- but wonder what people think now. Also wonder about support and service from deep6 and Genesis…

thanks all

Hi All

Looking to get my first computer. My wife and I are only recreational divers…. AOW and typically diving nitrox. Mix of LOB and land based…. But typically doing multiple dives a day over a few days to a week…. I know at the heart these are both built on the Crest CR-4…. But wondering how different they are and if it matters…. Which is more supported…. Ease of getting the battery replaced…. Any major SW differences…. At $200 less than a shearwater peregrin, this is where I am leaning…. Also the shearwater is just plain huge…. Pros and cons On these? Both seems to have subsurface support now…. Thanks for any helpful info or thoughts on if there is something good at similar price points…

things I like…
3. Bühlmann ZHL 16c- I think…. I expect we might find the RBGM limiting, but our rented computers haven’t caused issues…. So who knows…

thins I may not like
1. it’s small…. Yeah I know…. But aging eyes. Think that with multi focal contacts on I can read this ok….

Sure would love current views. There was a post directly comparing a few years back- but wonder what people think now. Also wonder about support and service from deep6 and Genesis…

thanks all
Depends how far you want to go diving and what your goals are. They're basically the same dc hardware wise, but as far as I know with D6 new software only the Excursion can do full trimix and gas switches. To me at the price point it's a no brainer.

I wear one as a backup to a shearwater. It works flawlessly and they track together, holds a charge forever, has an awesome display (I will look at it for some things that I don't have on the main screen of my shearwater like temp). I'd even go so far as to say the screen is too bright, so I have it turned all the way down.

I have dived one since they 1st came out, absolutely no complaints.

Just in case you weren't aware it does not have AI, a compass, or colored screen... so long as none of those are needed you're good.

Neither. Go with Shearwater. It can grow with you.

I don’t see myself go AI or really needing/wanting a digital compass. Don’t see mixed gases being important for me- but it supports resale should we ever want to change etc…

while I do see the love for shearwater and find the display easy to read. It is huge and $200 more…. And yes I have read all the cry once threads…. My question is in this price range is there a better option…. And deep6 vs Genesis…

Hi All

things I like…

thins I may not like

thanks all

Go with the Excursion. It’s my backup to my Shearwater and it perfectly matches the Perdix profile

If you want a Shearwater in the future, you’ve already got your backup computer. I’m north of 70, I have no problem reading the Excursion

Go with the Excursion. Great DC, great company with great support. I have one and I have a 2nd for my 17yr old. I will also get one for my 14yr old either this Christmas or next. Unless my eyesight makes using mine challenging enough that I switch to a Shearwater Peregrine, but hopefully that's some time down the road!!

Mine is a few years old now, but runs the current firmware. It does exactly what it says it does, with no muss and no fuss. If I had to find a negative, it would be that I need to cover it on the night dive when we go lights out to watch the bio-lume as I don't recall an easy (mid-dive) way of turning the backlight off and then back on 10-15 minutes later.

I have no qualms recommending the device or the company.

aqualung i330r may be worth a look if you aren't likely to get value from the buhlmann w/GF and trimix/ccr support from the deep 6. a bit less expensive and smaller than peregrine with a color screen and bluetooth, you just have to deal with the proprietary modified buhlmann algorithm vs buhlmann with GF.

Have peop
aqualung i330r may be worth a look if you aren't likely to get value from the buhlmann w/GF and trimix/ccr support from the deep 6. a bit less expensive and smaller than peregrine with a color screen and bluetooth, you just have to deal with the proprietary modified buhlmann algorithm vs buhlmann with GF.
l liked the aqualung? My LDS rents it, along with the Genesis and peregrine…. They said not real positive input on it… the others they feel are better liked…. By staff and as a rental…. But it’s definitely easier to read…

Have peop

l liked the aqualung? My LDS rents it, along with the Genesis and peregrine…. They said not real positive input on it… the others they feel are better liked…. By staff and as a rental…. But it’s definitely easier to read…
Probably because they don't make as much money on it🤣🤣

I don't know anything about the i330r, but don't take their recommendations alone on anything. They are biased. They could also be a great shop, no idea. Always good to get other opinions though.

I am a huge fan of the Deep6 Excursion.....but I cannot recommend it for a diver's first computer until they manage to produce a user's manual for it, and preferable not until it is possible to download the dive data. It has been "real soon now" for too long.

Back
Top Bottom