Inexpensive ZHL-16C+GF computers in 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d^2b

Worse diving through photography
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking about backup computers for my SW Peregrine. Looking ZHL-16C with custom gradient factors to match the Peregrine for NDLs. I guess if the GFs are documented I could in principle set the Peregrine to match. Subsurface compatibility would be a selling point. Obviously a second Peregrine would be an option, but it doesn't have to have a great display or ergonomics as a backup computer (although reasonably quick gas changes would be nice). I'm ultimately thinking of buying two of everything (also equiping a buddy), so that makes me a bit more price sensitive.

Off hand I know about
  • Crest CR4 / Genesis Centauri / Deep 6
  • Atmos Mission 1 (although that is not an inexpensive option)
I guess picking up a used SW could be an option, although those tend to hold their value pretty well.

Hi @d^2b

Crest/Genesis/Deep 6: I'm not positive that Crest/Genesis run the same presets as the Deep 6, very close to GF highs of 95, 85 and 75, maybe they do. They do not run custom GFs, the Deep 6 will run custom GFs when the firmware upgrade is out. I see the Genesis for $300, Deep 6 is $350

The Aqua Lung i330R runs presets with GF highs of 90, 85, and 70, no custom GFs. Color screen. If the presets work, this might be a good computer at $359. I would need a GF high of 95

The Atmos appears to be going for $500, you see it on sale frequently, it has custom GFs, color screen

The Shearwater Peregrine will go for $510 when it is back in stock, DGX now says maybe March. If I were going to spend this amount, I would go for another Peregrine over the Mission One.

Ratio computers are significantly more expensive, need to go the the Tech+ to get custom GFs. Runs 16B.

Seac Screen ($299) and Action HR ($328) runs Buhlmann with presets, only goes to a GF high of 85, no custom GF

That's all I could think of running Buhlmann and "inexpensive". Good luck.

EDIT: You probably already know that Atmos, Deep 6 do not work with Subsurface

Define inexpensive?

for my money, which I did a month ago, the Deep6 is a great option. Big fan.
Good question. I guess the Excursion at $350 is probably the top end of what would make it worthwhile having a different UI to cope with.

I did not like my Atmos Mission 1's and I 100% agree with @scubadada - if you are spending $500 ...another Peregrine all the way.

If I were to spend less than $400 I would never look anywhere else other than the Deep6 Excursion. Too bad they have gone up so much in the last year.....but so has everything else...

I did not like my Atmos Mission 1's and I 100% agree with @scubadada - if you are spending $500 ...another Peregrine all the way.

If I were to spend less than $400 I would never look anywhere else other than the Deep6 Excursion. Too bad they have gone up so much in the last year.....but so has everything else...
Yeah, I almost don't want to mention it because of the bad feelings involved (search scubaboard if you are curious), but one issue for me with the Deep6 is lack of Subsurface support. I was reading that may just require self compiling Subsurface (with a recent enough libdivecomputer), so maybe less of an issue than before.

Yeah, I almost don't want to mention it because of the bad feelings involved (search scubaboard if you are curious), but one issue for me with the Deep6 is lack of Subsurface support. I was reading that may just require self compiling Subsurface (with a recent enough libdivecomputer), so maybe less of an issue than before.
The Deep6 is in libdivecomputer, but it got added shortly after the last import to subsurface so it should be available in the next update to the library. Will have to see when @dirkhh has the next one scheduled

...I recall some past posts....

All I can say is that from my personal experience with Deep 6 is that every product that I have ever purchased though deep 6 has been a great product and if I needed ANY support, they were there for me.

My excursion is the only computer that I have ever sold that I should have kept.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom