Inexpensive ZHL-16C+GF computers in 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just came across this thread. It's too late for me, but I wish the Excursion had been around when I bought my first computer. Looks nice, except the price seems a little high -- but all prices on dive gear are going up, so I'm not sure if that's fair anymore.

In looking through the manual, I think the writing and grammar could be improved somewhat. Also, although I realize it was meant to be a rec computer, when it goes into deco and displays a negative NDL, is that the total time to surface? When you get to a stop, is total time to surface displayed anywhere, or just the time remaining on that stop?

It sounds like there will be upgrades to permit adjustable GFs and more than one gas. Not sure the adjustable GFs are a big deal for rec divers, but some other rec computers do permit at least one in-water gas switch.

Anyway, I just found this after the Deep6 Excursion came up in the Mares Puck thread in the Dive into new Gear forum and was interested.

Just came across this thread. It's too late for me, but I wish the Excursion had been around when I bought my first computer. Looks nice, except the price seems a little high -- but all prices on dive gear are going up, so I'm not sure if that's fair anymore.

In looking through the manual, I think the writing and grammar could be improved somewhat. Also, although I realize it was meant to be a rec computer, when it goes into deco and displays a negative NDL, is that the total time to surface? When you get to a stop, is total time to surface displayed anywhere, or just the time remaining on that stop?

It sounds like there will be upgrades to permit adjustable GFs and more than one gas. Not sure the adjustable GFs are a big deal for rec divers, but some other rec computers do permit at least one in-water gas switch.

Anyway, I just found this after the Deep6 Excursion came up in the Mares Puck thread in the Dive into new Gear forum and was interested.

What do you think the price should be?

The upgraded firmware is going to be a big leap forward, I am very much ready for it.

Currently, slim pickings for "inexpensive" dive computers running custom GFs:

Deep 6 Excursion (after Tech Lite firmware upgrade) $350
Atmos Mission One $500, has been seen on sale
Shearwater Peregrine $510

The Aqua Lung i330R runs presets with GF highs of 90, 85, and 70, no custom GFs. Color screen. If the presets work, this might be a good computer at $359. I would need a GF high of 95
The i330R doesn't work with Subsurface yet. I emailed to ask since the other Aqualung models do; received a response back that none of the developers have had an i330R to play with yet, so it's not currently supported.

What do you think the price should be?

Tough call on this one, particularly since prices are going up everywhere. Looking at comparables, the Genesis Centauri looks pretty similar and that's at $299. (That doesn't include the software update, though.)

Does the Excursion have altitude adjustment? That would have mattered on exactly zero of the dives I have done so far, but the Mares Puck Pro and Aqualung i300 have that. There would be a few people out there that might care about that.

Salt\Fresh water adjustment? I doubt this really matters -- I think the Shearwater default setting is the European standard "in between" and that's good enough if that's what the Excursion is set at. Again, a feature on some entry level computers, though. (Although honestly, I think that probably just creates a headache for those quarry divers with OCD who feel like they have to change it to salt for the few reef dives they do every year.)

The Excursion screen isn't really "pretty" but from the pictures and the manual, the menus look really easy to use, and the display has the information you need, which, eventually, is far more important. The manual needs work, though -- for example, explaining whether the negative NDL reading indicates time over NDL, total time to surface, total length of required stops, or time of first stop.

Total time to surface is an important number to know.

I suspect there is room at the "lower" price end for the first time computer buyer that doesn't know yet that they will be an "advanced" recreational (if not "technical") diver. That probably means Buhlmann, at least one gas switch available, adjustable GFs (or having the manual tell you what the GFs are for conservatism settings), and it acts appropriately concerned without treating you like a naughty child if you have 2 minutes of deco. I wouldn't have known what any of that meant when I bought my first computer 5 years ago, but I wish I did.

Anyway, I have far less experience than lots of people on this board, but since you asked . . .

It has been suggested in releases by the distributor (Deep6) that the [extensive] firmware update [replacement] will address the "quirky" NDL presentation as well as TTS. The user manipulation of GF's will be a pluss (if you know what you are doing with them), and the pre-set 3 safety factors have had a listing of what they currently closely represent with the current firmware.

Seems it is really checking the boxes pretty well. There will always be an outlier, and they should look elsewhere if this doesn't meet their criterias. I believe this really does suit the masses, recreational. "techreational", and (with second upgrade) technical.

Looking forward to getting the updates in mine.

****Added bonus, the Excursion is also the perfect backup light in case your primary dies:)

@MrVegas the Centauri is based on the same hardware and has an MSRP of $345 but is on DRiS for $299 so we'll go with that. The extra $50 you're paying gets you the NATO strap and the software upgrades. $50 is well worth it to have full control of your decompression and the ability to do gas switches. Trimix coming out as well which is well worth the extra $50.

I'm sure @LandonL will have a manual update done once the firmware is out of beta and I'll make sure the issues are addressed. He will have to confirm altitude compensation but I believe it will. Same with salinity though if it's on the EN13319 which I imagine it is since that is the European CE standard which splits the difference you're talking about a 2ft delta at 100ft. If your computer says 101ft you'll be at 99ft in the ocean, 103ft in fresh. Hardly significant. He can confirm if it's going to be included as a setting in the new firmware.

I bought one of the excursions and took it on a handful of fairly long cave dives. The display configuration is getting ironed out *I didn't have an android tablet with me to try the beta firmware out*, but the display is very much good enough for any of my open circuit diving. Obviously doesn't have CCR support so won't go for that, but I did put it in gauge mode for some 5-6hr dives and it was actually really nice for checking depth/time/surface time on those dives and is quite comfortable to wear as a daily watch which I did while on those week long trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom