How old is Your Regulator & Oldest lasting Regulator ??

How old is your oldest Functional Regulator

• 3 years

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • 4 yr

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • 5 yr

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • 6 yr

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • 7 yr

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • 8 yr

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • 9 yr

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • 10 yr

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • 10 -15 yr

Votes: 24 16.7%
  • 15 -20 yr

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • 20 - 30 yr

Votes: 25 17.4%
  • 30+ yr

Votes: 20 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using and will continue to use my Poseidon Odin regulator, to me its the most efficent reg on the market for deep technial diving. Check out the new Poseidon exstreme regulators that came out this year. Wow

Master Chief

Make : Sherwood
Model : Oasis

Maintenance : What's that?

I have two of these. They got annual mainenance for the first couple of years and have been serviced twice since. I've never had any trouble with either. Max depth dived - about 200 feet.

I'm about to replace them with an Apeks setup because I have diver's itch, but I will still carry them as spares. I've handed the second reg out (going back to a naff spare as an octopus) more times than I can remeber when other people's gear hasn't worked properly.

I have 2 Mares MR 12 Regulators with chrome plated brass 2nd stages. I purchased them in the late '80s. I have over 1000 dives on each and have had them to 215'. The venturi assist makes the 2nd stage a fine breather. (The new composite body MR 12 2nd Stage does not breathe as well as the old model.)

The only other regulator I have to perform as well is the new Zeagle 1st stage with the old Apecks 2nd stage with the adjustable resistance control.

My Poseidon Regs were a fix and repair nightmare (I dive the Gulf, too dirty for them), the Sherwood Maximus (old style 2nd stage) did not work well in cold water. The Dacor 960 was a great regulator, but the swivel on the 1st stage leaked alot due to too many "o" rings in the assembly. The first TUSA regulator did not breathe well..........

I have been through a bunch of regulators and the old Mares has outlived/performed them all.

:D

I sold my old Scubapro MK 3 a couple years ago. It worked great since it was new in about 1973.

Tom

my oldest reg was made by Scott, the model was the hydropack. It has a full face mask and came with an old 72 pipe threaded tank which I got hydroed and is still in service. And of course its green backpack. The poppet in the regulator looks like an old tire valve. high tech . I don't know exactly how old it actually is since I found it at a garage sale. But based on the age of the tank I would say the early 60's.

Dxtreme once bubbled...
Before I spend my money on new regulators, I Just like to see which brand of Regulator last the longest.

Provided we care for the Regulators and do the annual maintenance How long does a middle - high end range regulator last ?

How old is your oldest functional regulator ?

Please list down the following

1) Brand:

2) Model:

3) Year Bought:

4) Religious Maintenance Chores:

1) Brand: Aqualung

2) Model: Aquarius (manufactured 1974)

3) Year Bought: 2nd hand in 1985

4) Religious Maintenance Chores: Rebuild every few years. thorough cleaning after each dive. Check IP every other month.

I should say that while this reg never skipped a beat in about 1000 dives (many deep), I don't dive with it anymore. I have two newer regs that I mount on a Y valve--a Sherwood Maximus (ca. 1998), excellent 1st/so-so 2nd. I use this as an octopus. And a new Auqalung Legend LX supreme, which I use as a primary.

R..

i use Apex TX 100 . i have 3 of them and
usually every ear i sell all my reg and buy new
ones even if they are still good.
doing 500 to 600 Dives per year , u should change every
thing and its a bad habit anyway, servicing will do the
job but still I sell every thing.

sorry it was every year .....

Brand: Oceanic
Model: Primary- Omega, Occy- Delta
Year bought: 1991
Maintenance: 12-18 mth service.

I guess I should clarify the 12-18 months, in that the regs have done relatively few dives compared a lot of others mentioned here.

All dives have been done in salt water, and in the three or four year period when I wasn't doing any diving, I got them serviced before their first use again.

Although not confident to do a full service myself, I will regularly disassemble the basic parts to dry them out properly and check for corrossion and o-ring damage.

1966, Aqua Lung, Royal Aqua-Master. Bought it around 1976 as part of a used kit (Voit tank, backpack, and horse collar BC) for about 100 bucks as i recall. To be honest i only use it when nostalgic or when i feel like giving my diaphram a good work out. It was great for it's time but by todays standards it breathes H A R D hard!

Parts for a full rebuild five years ago cost more than the whole kit did in 1976. Ain't inflation a *itch!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom