How much that the LDS tells me can I believe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it should bother you. I know he's in business to make sales but his goals should be to make you love diving so much he won't be able to stop you from making purchases.

It is a bit risky buying wetsuits online. Sizing is pretty tough because all wetsuits seem to have a different idea of what size is what. Sure many will do returns but that's a huge pain.

Is there another store in the area?

Map stands for Minimum Advertised Pricing. Not Minimum selling price. As a quasi-anti-trust lawyer, I can suggest that if the manufacturers are telling you what price to sell at (as opposed to what price you can advertise) you might consider seeking counsel.

Resale price maintenance (i.e. "you can't sell below this price") is theoretically possible, but extremely difficult to pull off in the real world. Almost no manufacturer I have ever heard of has the wherewithall to pull it off. The supremes actually did endorse resale price maintenance recently, but again it is a tough road to hoe.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/06pdf/06-480.pdf

By the by, I bought all my stuff through LDS (more than one). I did, however, insist that they accept a reasonable margin. We managed to stay friends.

As I hope to remain with mauigal.

Just want to say, geez you guys are fast on the replies! By the time I typed out a reply, I already had 5 more comments! I'm already loving this board! I'm a member of many forums and have learned incredibly valuable information on everything from car repairs to mortgage help. The opinions of many, I think, outweigh the opinion of one. I'll take all of your advice and use it to make my decisions.

I'm glad I'm getting community feedback - he's pushed us so hard to get our own equipment that I truly felt that was "normal" to buy all your own equipment early on. I have no problem renting equipment, and we aren't going outside the US any time soon. I like having my own BC but my husband doesn't want nor need his own immediately. He's not 100% comfortable in the water yet, whereas I'm much further along in that then he is. He's also not sure if he'll be going on to the advanced class next quarter whereas I'm already signed up. I'm going to head over to the exposure suit sub-forum to ask my questions about the wet suit, as I'd really to have my own - only because I don't trust finding one that fits in the rental racks.

I buy a mix from my LDS and from online sources. It depends on what I'm buying and what prices I can obtain from each source. As far as how your shop is treating you and the whole "would you trust your life to something you bought online" argument, more often than not it's the same exact product that you get at your local shop...often for a cheaper price. And you can find authorized dealers online for many products (but not all).
Like someone mentioned, your LDS is in the business of selling gear. The more gear they get you to buy, the more money they pocket. So of course, they're going to try to deter you from getting gear anywhere but their shop. But if they're not willing to be reasonable in their competition, find a new shop as they don't deserve your business. My business isn't just given...it's earned. I'm not obligated to spend my hard earned dollars anywhere that I don't want to. Find someplace that makes you comfortable in talking to them about prices and products...and preferably one that doesn't feel the need to take such a negative approach. Rather than telling you why not to buy gear from somewhere, they should be telling you why you should be buying gear from them.

Shane

A classic dip'm and rip'm. Finish your course with him then shop around. You will not find Scubapro or Aqualung products online from USA authorized dealers. But there are so many other excellent choices that there really is no reason to pay exorbitant prices for high quality gear. Reports of disappointing service from scuba.com are not uncommon on this board. As you shop around, take a look at scubatoys.com and divesports.com. They both price match other dealers and provide top notch service without the BS and coersion.

(like some have said)...I would get certified now & buy later......If they have any problems with that, demand a TOTAL refund & turn their butts into the BBB......

It is a good idea to have your own wetsuit for various reasons. If there are other shops in your area you can check their pricing and if favorable try on their wetsuits or have them measure you and order one. There are several online options already mentioned in this thread, call them, they will ask for your measurements, (bust, waist, hips, weight, height) and then send you your size. Some will allow you to try on and then return for exchange if it doesn't fit.

As for other purchases I would do the same with shopping other stores and getting online and finding reasonable prices. Some LDS's are known for selling above MSRP. Continue your education about the scuba industry and it will make you a better consumer. Be in it for YOU, not for the LDS.

You mentioned you have already signed up for the advanced course???? It seems you have issues with the instructor. I would find an instructor that I had a better rapport with to take other courses.

By the way I own a LDS and the advice I have told you is what I tell my own customers (for those that think we are all the same)

Map stands for Minimum Advertised Pricing. Not Minimum selling price. As a quasi-anti-trust lawyer, I can suggest that if the manufacturers are telling you what price to sell at (as opposed to what price you can advertise) you might consider seeking counsel.

Resale price maintenance (i.e. "you can't sell below this price") is theoretically possible, but extremely difficult to pull off in the real world. Almost no manufacturer I have ever heard of has the wherewithall to pull it off. The supremes actually did endorse resale price maintenance recently, but again it is a tough road to hoe.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/opinions/06pdf/06-480.pdf

By the by, I bought all my stuff through LDS (more than one). I did, however, insist that they accept a reasonable margin. We managed to stay friends.

As I hope to remain with mauigal.

...........and spoken like a true lawyer.....lol......:)

MSRP is usualy the highest recomended price something can be sold for. Most people are willing to sell below msrp but some won't. I enjoy haggeling and most of the time get a few bucks knocked off. No price is set in stone. Also remember that some mail order stores deal in large volume and can purchase at a lower price than the LDS. It's like the difference between wal-mart and the corner grocery store. That is one reason I don't mind paying a small premium at my LDS but when the price is twice as much as what I can purchase it online for I'm going to buy online

MSRP is usualy the highest recomended price something can be sold for.

It is the Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price. Why anyone would charge or pay more than this is way beyond me. The have been several instances since I joined scubaboard where people have paid above MSRP because that is what the LDS charged.

Lesson being shop around. YOU have no duty to purchase from any LDS or online store, YOU are the consumer, YOU get to decide IF, WHEN, WHAT, and from whom you will purchase.

Diving is great fun, and personally I love buying gear as well. But it should not be stressful for you.

Back
Top Bottom