Help for newly certified father/son on equipment to buy for infrequent diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont see the advantage of carrying an AI and having a spg as a backup. In the worst case scenario following a problem with AI i will end the dive.(Using the rule of one third i already know i have at least 1000 psi at any time). I marked the line of my dsmb at 25-20-15-10-5 feet like this i have a reference for depth. Useful also for safety stop.

Carrying extra equipment doesn't achieve streamlining and create just excessive clutter. One of the advantage of AI is to remove one hose, not keeping it.

I still respect what you do but i will not follow that road.

be safe.
We use hose mounted AI, we keep it in the green or maybe yellow. Any computer issue we verify on the still working units ascend to and do SS then exit.

Hose mount because I've had enough issues with low power wifi and bluetooth on smart watches to not trust it on dive equipment.

Also no redundant SPG, if there is a problem, there is a problem.

@jonblack To your original question, if you're looking at buying a computer you can monitor his gas with, Garmin has the only computer I know of with the sort of range you would want; however, the Garmin descent is known to have an annoying, high pitched whine due to the sonar it uses to transmit gas level. See Divers Ready's review for a good description of that system.

Personally, I find air integration to be kind of excessive. It's a very expensive feature (easily twice as much with it as without, when you factor in the transmitter cost), and ultimately, it's not so hard to check the SPG for gas level, and I trust a mechanical gauge more than an electronic one anyway. If I were you, I'd buy your son a non-AI shearwater peregrine (which, side note, you might could get a good deal on used, now that the peregrine TX has come out). It's a high end recreational computer with all the bells and whistles except AI, very user friendly, and has a wonderful display quality.

Finally, depending on where you are in GA, look at diving the Savannah. I've never been, but a fossil diver I know told me there's some great megalodon teeth to be found there.

Hose mount because I've had enough issues with low power wifi and bluetooth on smart watches to not trust it on dive equipment.
I don't think there is any dive equipment that uses wifi or BT underwater. So, you are safe.

I dont see the advantage of carrying an AI and having a spg as a backup. In the worst case scenario following a problem with AI i will end the dive.

I typically dive with a bare SPG clipped to my left hip and an AI transmitter on a short hose with quick-disconnect. Last week, I got to the boat after an hour's drive and set up my gear prior to departing for a blackwater trip. The rubber HP hose for the SPG started making rice krispy noises and forming small blisters under the top layer within a couple of minutes of being pressurized. Within 2 minutes, pulled the SPG/hose and replaced it with a HP port plug. Saved an evening of diving, and the SPG could have just as easily backed up a transmitter problem if things had gone the other way.

N+1 = more options. That's the advantage.

Lance

Disagree. Absolutely a mask, and probably fins. For a 13yo boy diving 2-3 times a year, he'll only get 1 dive trip out of a wetsuit before he grows out of it. Dive computer is a nice-to-have, but most decent dive ops will provide a console with integrated computer. Sure, you don't get to download your dives, but that's hardly crucial.

Beyond a mask and fins, I would suggest a BC next, although same issue as the wetsuit - a 13yo is likely to hit a growth spurt and grow out of a BC unless it's a backplate and wing. A regulator will last forever, but with only a couple of uses a year, it will be convenient and familiar, but sticking to manufacturers recommended schedule may seem like a greater cost per dive than hiring.

I'd argue a decent enough wrist mounted computer is the next thing ANY diver should buy after mask/snorkel/fins. Time and time again tourists don't know how to read, set, or understand their own computer and aren't used to the warning beeps and screens. Yeah, sure, "a good dive op will have DMs to help with that" - yeah, no. In practice it slows you down and creates unnecessary stress, anxiety and time suck while on vacation. I'd rather be comfortable on my own than rely on some DM to help me out every.single.dive.

Computers (arguably) have the most variance in any piece of rental equipment - standard rental equipment is a jacket BCD, reg with a yellow longer octo, and *something* attached to a HP port. whatever *something* is changes by the brand that the shop sells. I've tried to set so
Get wrist computers in your price range, learn how to use them and set EANx on them. And never be surprised by an unknown "beep" again.

or leave the beeper off as if you don't already mentally know where you are you're lost and shouldn't be there

In my opinion, I think that you should buy mask, fins, and dive computer.

For mask, you should have no problem with your son growing out of it since it should cover a wide range of face size.

For fins, you may consider fins that can change the size of the foot pocket. On top of my head right now, I can think of Scubapro S-Tek fins which can swap the foot parts in case of your son's feet grow bigger.

For dive computer, since you're not diving that often, how about you look into Garmin Descent smartwatch. So, you and your son can also use it as everyday smartwatch. If I were you, I might look into `i` series since it has air integration. but for your son `i` Series watch might be too big, I think `s` series or `g1` might be more suitable.

The essential gear that always goes with me regardless of whether the trip is short, long or dedicated to scuba diving versus a mix of activities.

Mask, dive computer, camera and torch. The first 3 have been mentioned already along with the mostly useless snorkel, but not mentioned is a good dive light, as they are not typically provided with rental gear and can make the dive a much better experience if you're diving a site where you're looking under ledges, swimming through wrecks, diving at night, and just to bring out the colors.

I also bring on every trip less critical items including compass/slate (combination), Nautilus GPS, and backup computer.

Sometimes, if not bringing all my gear I will also bring my AI transmitter, and/or my regulator set. My regulator set includes a thin Miflex HP hose with a mini spg (as AI backup) which is zip tied to the BCD inflator hose.

If you're going to get a snorkel, get a foldable one and attach a clip so you can hook it onto a (rental) BCD.

@LI-er You use a nautilus? Can I get your thoughts on the device? I've been considering getting a PLB, and the nautilus seems like the best option in several respects (already dive rated, no subscription, designed for diving, not bulky) but the reviews I've looked at expressed concern about range, and from what I've read, it doesn't alert emergency services, just broadcasts a distress signal over the radio. That being said, I don't love any of the other options I've seen, so I'd love to get your take on the nautilus.

Also, @jonblack if you decide to take @LI-er 's suggestion and buy a dive light, I recommend Windfire. They're cheap, and thus far reliable, and use the widely available, low cost 18650 rechargeable battery. I've got a pair of high intensity narrow beam lights from them that can go at 5000 lumen for about an hour on a good charge. Definitely not the best thing on the market, but hard to beat the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom