Help for newly certified father/son on equipment to buy for infrequent diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Infrequent diving: Mask, wetsuit, dive computer, fins.

Diving as a hobby: Add on Wing/BCD, regulators, tanks, and more.

When comes to equipment, my suggestion is "Buy nice or Buy twice"

It doesn't have to be brand new or a fancy brand at all (I suggest a good brand used and in good condition).

You will save money in the long run for higher quality equipment (and you will also save money on not having to rent the equipment you already own).

Infrequent diving: Mask, wetsuit, dive computer, fins.

Diving as a hobby: Add on Wing/BCD, regulators, tanks, and more.

Disagree. Absolutely a mask, and probably fins. For a 13yo boy diving 2-3 times a year, he'll only get 1 dive trip out of a wetsuit before he grows out of it. Dive computer is a nice-to-have, but most decent dive ops will provide a console with integrated computer. Sure, you don't get to download your dives, but that's hardly crucial.

Beyond a mask and fins, I would suggest a BC next, although same issue as the wetsuit - a 13yo is likely to hit a growth spurt and grow out of a BC unless it's a backplate and wing. A regulator will last forever, but with only a couple of uses a year, it will be convenient and familiar, but sticking to manufacturers recommended schedule may seem like a greater cost per dive than hiring.

Zeagle came out with a BCD that is adjustable size XS-L or L-XXL. Great for a growing diver.

At some point he might want to try a Sidemount rig or a BP/W…also very adjustable.

I would go with masks (as very personal and you know you are the only one spitting in it!). As regards AI I would not bother if occasional recreational diving. One reason is costs and money will be better spent on something else or your own thermal protection wear or at least boots/fins as once again only your feet go in these (less chance of fungal foot infections). Personally it is better to really get used to just using analog gauges and cross checking each others pressure very regularly. If you use AI ( as I do on some but not all regs I use) I always cross check AI against SPG as AI could crap out anytime and redundancy should be a must. Also not all dive centre regs will have an additional HP port to fit AI, so in that case the spg needs to be removed. Keep it simple in the beginning. If you decide to go further into diving in time then consider your own regs with 2 HP ports so you can fit AI and have an spg.
Happy diving.

Mask fins snorkel dive computer. You don't need AI, you can buy AI capable wrist computer and skip the transmitter for a while to save a few dollars. It's less info to have to manage on a small screen when you are just getting started. Encourage your son to ask you for gas pressure and NDL checks. It will increase buddy engagement and two way communications.

I agree with mask and fins. A wet suit is more problematic unless you are going to buy three of them for different water temps: 3, 5, and 7 mil

I would rent everything else until you dive regularly. Doing so will give you experience with different equipment so that someday you can outfit yourself using experience.

Computers: I would suggest getting an AI computer without the transmitter for now. The few times in my life that I rented gear, the reg set came with an SPG; so no need to waste time trying to get the dive shop to put a transmitter on the first stage which they likely won't want to do. There may also be liability issues for them doing so. So, don't get the transmitter for your AI computer until you have your own reg set.

Just to add 2 cents - best investment right now would be a great fitting mask and perhaps fins (but you can rent these anywhere you go) AND a dive computer. New wrist computers can run you anywhere from $250 to $1500, depending on the bells and whistles. The key here is that you really don't need the high end stuff, because this first computer will eventually become your backup computer and will give you time to study what is available and what makes sense to you and your son.

As far as watches with integrated air are concerned, they are on the higher end of the cost scale, but not only are they cool, they are a great tool. Some brands to look out for: Garmin, Shearwater and Suunto (just launched their newest Ocean watch). There are many reviews on Scubaboard and they help put things into perspective.

Although the Apple Watch says it is an integrated dive computer, I have only seen it once in the "wild" and it is very limited when compared to the functionality of the other manufacturers listed above. If I am not mistaken, the dive component requires an the Oceanic App and there is a monthly fee associated with it.

Hope this helps! Welcome to diving and have a great time!

@jonblack

It sounds like you have a healthy outlook, that of renting equipment until you have opportunities to dive more frequently and gain more experience. There’s nothing wrong with renting your gear for a few seasons until you develop an idea of what type of diving you and your son are drawn to and the equipment that will best meet your needs and budget. “Buy nice or buy twice” is a good rule of thumb but it makes the assumption one has a mature grasp on his needs and preferences. I bought nice but still bought twice because my needs evolved.

I concur with others that getting a properly-fitting mask is critical. After all, yours and your son’s ability to see the underwater world without nagging leaks are one of the most important things that will ensure you two can share in the enthusiasm.

I also concur with others that an air-integrated computer is a bit superfluous right now. I think it’s important to first develop basic dive skills (monitoring one’s gas and communication). Would you be as good a driver today if you had started with all the driver aids now available on cars?

I’m a bit out of touch with the available options for a recreational computer that interfaces with an online log. I do think a DC would be a great purchase for your budding marine biologist. I encourage you to go simple/economical. As much as we think we know our teenagers, they can take unexpected turns off the path.

Some great news - you live in Georgia next door to Florida, the world’s diving capitol. There are tons and tons of opportunities to get linked up with marine biology labs such as Mote Marine Laboratory, university and other institutional marine biology programs and regular dive charters that either host or support healthy reef and coast activities.

Have fun with all of it and let us know how you guys get along.

As a relatively new diver (3 years), the first gear I bought was mask/fins/dive computer. The dive computer is really the issue for you. If you trust your son to monitor his own depth, NDL, etc. all you guys need for now is a fairly basic dive computer. My family and I have the Cressi Goa, which would suit your purposes perfectly. We are diving enough that we now upgraded to a more sophisticated computer with an AI transmitter (Suunto Eon Core), but plan on using the Cressi as a backup. I will also ALWAYS dive with an SPG as a backup even with the AI.

Hope this helps!

I dont see the advantage of carrying an AI and having a spg as a backup. In the worst case scenario following a problem with AI i will end the dive.(Using the rule of one third i already know i have at least 1000 psi at any time). I marked the line of my dsmb at 25-20-15-10-5 feet like this i have a reference for depth. Useful also for safety stop.

Carrying extra equipment doesn't achieve streamlining and create just excessive clutter. One of the advantage of AI is to remove one hose, not keeping it.

I still respect what you do but i will not follow that road.

be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom