How is rental gear sanitized?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good idea with replacing the mouthpiece. I'm wondering how universal mouthpieces are.
I believe there are a couple different sizes/shapes to the inlet, but if the mouthpiece is pretty flexible it will probably work.

With regards to the regulator... I've been thinking about getting my own... but then it it looks like I'd have to get a full octopus set with 1st stage, guages, buddy regulator... unless I'm missing something.
Correct. Generally, the regulator itself comes with a 1st stage and primary 2nd stage and an inflator hose. Octo and gauges are generally extra. For the most part, they are universal, but it’s a good idea to match brands between 1st and 2nd stages for ease of servicing. This is the typical setup, but there are options for different setups.

For the gauge console, if using a computer, all you reall need is a pressure gauge. Computer will tell you depth, so a depth gauge is generally not required.

Rainbow Reef in Key Largo soaks all rental regulators in Steramine.

I've also seen Stermine used for this.

I'm also wondering if due to covid, shops are trying to clean just a bit harder.
A lot of places have updated their signage to indicate they are using "enhanced cleaning practices". I don't think they actually changed what they're doing, but they have a sign that makes people feel good.

These days I carry a spray bottle with 95% ethyl alcohol, balance isopropyl. If I were to rent a regulator, I'd spray it and do my best to rub vigorously with a shirt or towel or something. I've never tried to take it internationally, but I've had the spray bottle on several AA flights with no trouble. I use it instead of "regular" hand sanitizer because I can't stand the glycerin residue on my hands.

In the US you have to get that stuff from a chemical supply company. In pretty much any other country you can get it at places like grocery stores, without the isopropyl.

When I worked at the local aquarium, all gear was sanitized in steramine, or some similar industrial sanitizer. It's a good choice for a shop to use on gear, but does require a tiny amount of effort.

Steramine on the regulators I let others borrow. Masks, snorkel and booties are inexpensive enough that you should own your own.

The safest assumption is that it's not sanitized.

Even if their store-policy is to sanitize certain gear (like regulators) the low-wage employee assigned that task doesn't care and either didn't do it, or didn't do a good job. Cleaning wetsuits is a lot of work, and would probably double the cost of wetsuit rentals. So yeah, you're wearing a public bathroom, that hopefully only has old-urine (which is sterile, but...).

Anyway, a better question would be "how would you sterilize a rental-regulator before use?" Personally, I'm bringing my own regulators on vacation.

Good idea with replacing the mouthpiece. I'm wondering how universal mouthpieces are.

With regards to the regulator... I've been thinking about getting my own... but then it it looks like I'd have to get a full octopus set with 1st stage, guages, buddy regulator... unless I'm missing something.

I'm also wondering if due to covid, shops are trying to clean just a bit harder.
Mouthpieces are essentially universal.

Regulators are composed of:

• First stage, which is the central unit that attaches to the tank, delivers air to everything else, and has high-pressure and low-pressure ports.
    • 1st stages can be balanced (better for depth) or unbalanced (cheaper).
    • They can also be environmentally sealed, which is better for cold-water and salt-water.
    • They may have a pivoting "turret" which is where all the low-pressure ports are, and is nice to have, but not required unless you get into sidemount.
    • Piston or diaphram, which probably won't matter to you.
  • Hoses. Typically (1) high pressure for the pressure gauge (2) low pressure for the second-stage regulators and (3) BCD hose.
    • The BCD hose needs to be compatible with your BCD. 70% of them use the same quick-detach, but there are exceptions. You can swap hoses fairly easily, or even just get adapters for a normal low-pressure hose. Though the adapter route is perhaps a little complicated for someone brand-new to regulators.
    • The low-pressure hoses for the 2nd stage regulators just need to be long enough to use. Longer hoses can be difficult to manage and increase enganglement. Though proper hose-routing and use of hose/regulator retainers can help a LOT.
    • The high pressure hose just needs to be long enough for you to easily read your pressure gauge on the end.
  • The SPG or "Submersible Pressure Gauge." Nothing too interesting here, but it's nice having a readable display underwater. Preferably an accurate SPG too.
  • Second Stages. - The things with the mouthpieces on them.
    • Most standard setups have two 2nd stage regulators; the nicer primary one you breathe from most of the time which might be more expensive, and a secondary one (the "octo") for air-sharing and similar scenarios. The second one is just a backup, and typically tuned to be less likely to free-flow which makes it slightly harder to breathe.
    • As far as the octo, I wouldn't spend that much money on it. I'd also recommend avoiding the ones that combine your octo & inflator-hose, as those are more difficult to manage if you had something like an air-share emergency. Just get proper hose retainers instead if hose-management is annoying.
A lot of places have updated their signage to indicate they are using "enhanced cleaning practices". I don't think they actually changed what they're doing, but they have a sign that makes people feel good.

These days I carry a spray bottle with 95% ethyl alcohol, balance isopropyl. If I were to rent a regulator, I'd spray it and do my best to rub vigorously with a shirt or towel or something. I've never tried to take it internationally, but I've had the spray bottle on several AA flights with no trouble. I use it instead of "regular" hand sanitizer because I can't stand the glycerin residue on my hands.

In the US you have to get that stuff from a chemical supply company. In pretty much any other country you can get it at places like grocery stores, without the isopropyl.

When I worked at the local aquarium, all gear was sanitized in steramine, or some similar industrial sanitizer. It's a good choice for a shop to use on gear, but does require a tiny amount of effort.

Empty spray bottles should be good to take on any flight. Isopropyl alcohol is available at most drug-stores and grocery-stores in the US.

Just say no to rental anything. Buy your own and put it in your checked luggage. Carry it with you half way across the world. Been there and done it. It is worth every breath you take.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom