There’s gear out there made for the intention of being used as rental gear for shops. Is it recommended to purchase this for personal use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigAladdin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just trying to figure out what I’m getting into if I decide to go with gear that’s being made for dive shop rentals. When shopping online I see on the description section of some aqualung regulators and some Cressi bcds that this type of gear is common as rentals for dive shops.

Would this type of gear be recommended for personal use?

My personal use is going no deeper than 120ft. I scavenge scallops and shellfish at that depth.

Would this type of gear hinder those activities?

The implication is those are rugged and simple, few people praise the performance of rental gear.

that gear will not hamper you but neither will it enhance the experience.

I bought a reg and BC a while back and had no issues. Still have them but changed to BP/W & DIN.
It was through a mfg wholesaler when I was in the marine industry, unbelievable deal.

Just trying to figure out what I’m getting into if I decide to go with gear that’s being made for dive shop rentals. When shopping online I see on the description section of some aqualung regulators and some Cressi bcds that this type of gear is common as rentals for dive shops.

Would this type of gear be recommended for personal use?

My personal use is going no deeper than 120ft. I scavenge scallops and shellfish at that depth.

Would this type of gear hinder those activities?
Its marketing/advertising speak from the retailer. Dive operators buy kit because it can survive the punishment to gets when being rented. Also if you learn with one brand you're likely to buy the same one, so their looking for a commission as well.

Dive equipment manufactures don't really care who buys their kit, just that it gets bought.

When I certified my dive shop had Scubapro MK20’s with G200b balanced second stages and an R095 for an octo, and suunto consoles with an SPG, manual depth gauge, and a compass on the end. This was pre computer so we were still using tables. The owner set up his rentals this way with the idea that this is what students would buy after the class. It worked on me because I bought the exact same setup when I got my first stuff, except I got an Air2 instead of the the octo.
But that rental gear was more designed for a class setting, which most of his rental gear was used for, not so much someone just walking in to rent gear that was already certified.
I have no complaints about the purchase, in fact I still have the MK20/G200B and use it all the time.

However, if a shop has a fleet of rental gear that is used just for rental without the aim of selling after an OW class then a lot of times they will pick regs that are tough and cheap and easy to service like Scubapro MK2/R195 with R095 octo.
It wouldn’t surprise me if this is the number one rental reg in the world right now.
I have an older MK2/R190 that I bought new in 2002. I wouldn’t hesitate to use that reg for any recreational dive to 130’ no problem. A guy that used to post here breathed MK/2’s down to 300’ and they worked just fine.
If I had to start over and had limited funds, or just wanted to save a few bucks, I would buy a MK2 evo/R195 and be happy for the rest of my diving life.

Back
Top Bottom