How is rental gear sanitized?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is this “sanitized” you speak of?

We used to rinse piss soaked wetsuits in an enzymatic cleaner to make them not stink.

Just reading the thread tittle I get gross mental images.

Didn't think I was a germaphobe but I guess this pandemic changed me.
Hah!!! I moved into a new house last week. I’m a slob, but even I couldn’t put beer in the fridge. The glass shelves were stuck to the frames.

some folks are just gross.

This thread reaffirms my decision all those years ago to buy my own gear. Outside of my OW class, I’ve never used a rental/shop regulator. My kids were lucky enough to not even use rental/shop gear for their OW class.

I don't work in the dive business, but I'm guessing some practices were different pre-covid.

If I were ever to need to use a rental regulator, I would absolutely do one of the following:
  1. Replace the mouthpiece with a brand new, out of the wrapper mouthpiece before use. Then put the old mouthpiece back when I returned the reg.
  2. Disinfect the mouthpiece thoroughly myself (last resort).
I'm not concerned with the BCD, tank, even the wetsuit, but putting a rental regulator mouthpiece in my mouth??? YUCK!!

Personally, I've never used a rental regulator apart from my open water class when I didn't know any better and my first 2 dives after certification. Every dive since has been with my own regulator. I strongly recommend every diver at least own their own regulator, wetsuit, mast, fins, boots and snorkel if you use one.

If I were ever to need to use a rental regulator, I would absolutely do one of the following:
  1. Replace the mouthpiece with a brand new, out of the wrapper mouthpiece before use. Then put the old mouthpiece back when I returned the reg.
  2. Disinfect the mouthpiece thoroughly myself (last resort).
I'm not concerned with the BCD, tank, even the wetsuit, but putting a rental regulator mouthpiece in my mouth??? YUCK!!

Personally, I've never used a rental regulator apart from my open water class when I didn't know any better and my first 2 dives after certification. Every dive since has been with my own regulator. I strongly recommend every diver at least own their own regulator, wetsuit, mast, fins, boots and snorkel if you use one.
Good idea with replacing the mouthpiece. I'm wondering how universal mouthpieces are.

With regards to the regulator... I've been thinking about getting my own... but then it it looks like I'd have to get a full octopus set with 1st stage, guages, buddy regulator... unless I'm missing something.

I'm also wondering if due to covid, shops are trying to clean just a bit harder.

. . .
I'm also wondering if due to covid, shops are trying to clean just a bit harder.

Some may. Others may have stopped renting regs and masks altogether.

You wanna get grossed out, some of you may have noticed how rinse buckets get cloudy after the first 2 wetsuits. Nope, that's not sand or dirt, it's dead human skin.

There are not any uniform practices.

N

I may be the only diver on this site that has a P-valve on their wetsuit. I would recommend to any diver looking at buying their own gear, at least get your suit, regs, and mask first. Some of the rentals for those items can be rather unpleasant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom