Hog D1 Regulator Repair Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meh, ignore those who want to fight the idea that they need a class....

I am still curious if/when you will have non-local (to you) classes available....whether in person or online. Please do keep us updated :)

Many people work on their own cars, do home repairs, bike repairs, assemble furniture, replace computer parts, etc.

We have long published schematics and repair information on our website for those who DIY or out on a vacation and need some local help and the locals need some info.

www.apollosportsusa.com/Service/Manuals.htm

Chris at Edge/HOG has a good program and his dealers are doing well in getting it implemented.

Good grief - we're back to sophistries, again?

Not everything you need to know can come from a book. I know many folks don't want to hear this and I'm sorry for that but it's still true. For those that are willing to get the training, we have a program in place and we're trying to develop some options to make it more accessible. For those interested in squabbling, the MOF sandbox is always open, go play there. Please.

Didn't you apprentice as a mechanic?

Nope

Do you think your internship and residencies were just hazing rituals? More so than you might wanna believe actually lol, but yes there is some teaching involved.

Almost everything I have ever learned was made better and easier with practical hands-on training, from learning to drive a car to learning to scuba diving to shooting a gun to cooking a steak to...wait for it...servicing a regulator. A book can teach you lots of stuff but until you get some real-world practice, until you exercise your hands along with your brain, you won't learn what you need to know.
Yes, and with 2 regulators in front of me to practice on with a book is hands on experience.

As to abetting stupid decisions, my ethical superstructure is pretty flexible but too much range of motion is as bad as not enough.

I think you may misunderstand my position, not everyone that is willing to learn is able to come to a class room. It just seems odd that you know people are going to do something regardless, why wouldn't you at least want them to have the opportunity to pay you to read the instructions first?

Regulators are not complicated black magic boxes, they really are very simple devices, the instructions aren't needed in order to understand how they work. Anyone can take a regulator apart and put it back together so long as they don't lose anything in the process. People need the instruction booklet to let them know what the acceptable tolerances are on certain pieces before they can be tossed and what part #'s they need to order to replace it with and what type of lube goes where.

It's the same with doing something as simple and mundain as changing the oil in your vehicle. It's a very simple process, you take out the plug and drain it all, take off the filter and toss it, replace the oil plug, screw on a new filter, fill with oil.

Now how hard is that? Well it would be made pretty effin difficult if Chevy decided that you couldn't be trusted to do it and never published the filter part #'s or what weight oil it requires unless you sign up for their class. :idk:

I'm sorry, I don't agree at all with your analogy.
I know many people that have AAA because they can't even change a freaking tire. When I was driving tow trucks I towed more then one vehicle because it just left the quick change place and they screwed up, big time. So I don't think everyone can change there oil either.

While a regulator MAY seem easy to rebuild to YOU, many others struggle just trying to wrap there head around it. In addition, its the little things that can mean having a nice tight regulator and something that leaks, shudders, oscillates, and a whole list of unwanted stuff. There is much more detail then just unscrewing some parts, ripping out some black things and slamming the whole thing back together.

I'm sorry, I don't agree at all with your analogy.
I know many people that have AAA because they can't even change a freaking tire. When I was driving tow trucks I towed more then one vehicle because it just left the quick change place and they screwed up, big time. So I don't think everyone can change there oil either.

While a regulator MAY seem easy to rebuild to YOU, many others struggle just trying to wrap there head around it. In addition, its the little things that can mean having a nice tight regulator and something that leaks, shudders, oscillates, and a whole list of unwanted stuff. There is much more detail then just unscrewing some parts, ripping out some black things and slamming the whole thing back together.

I would have to argue that more often than not those are the people going to express oil to get their oil changed. And the fact that the quick change place screwed up big time...how is that any different than your average AL80 wearing stroke dropping his yoke n octo set up off at the local dive shop so they can pound at it with a hammer and crescent wrench after he leaves? If anything that sounds like the exact reason why I am the only person that has ever changed the oil in any car I've owned since I was 16. And I am equally less than trusting of others I don't know with MY life support equipment...If they screw up I am the one that dies.

Just for the record, I am ALL for the class being offered. I think it is great that a company is wiling to do something like that. I just am not a fan of the fact that it's being expected as mandatory.

Actually reefraff, I agree with you .
but two things
... I did not apprentice becoming a mechanic, I had to learn how to find where to look in the book, look up, and read schematics and flow charts, so I could do it from a book, but I'm not going that route if I can get expert instruction for a reasonable fee (which is what is being offered, and thank you for it)
.. unreasonable response about the MOF

If you need the manual, you need the class. That's an authoritative statement from an expert and it's also the end of the discussion.

:confused: You need the manual no matter what. That is where you get torque specs, lubrication points, and to make sure the last guy did not put it together wrong :wink:

If you need the manual, you need the class. That's an authoritative statement from an expert and it's also the end of the discussion.:D

I don't think so. If you have the will and the skill and the proper tools and info you do not need the
"authoritative statement from an "expert".

YAY>...isn't this fun....

NO.....:D

So, here is the deal.....This is all very NEW. There is A LOT of possible liability with us just "giving" you this information, while knowing you will be assembling regulators. Industry Standard is that you have to take a class to repair your regulators. A class was designed for this. If I knowingly don't follow that....I open myself up to liability. If you don't like it, blame the lawyers that get in the middle of everything. As much as I would love to give EVERYONE a copy of this manual, it is not worth the possibility of it falling into someones hands that has no business repairing their regs....then they die (although they told me they were competent and would accept liability for repairing their own equipment) and their spouse or family sues us for supplying them with this info and not requiring they take a class....Sorry, as much as I LOVE all of you, selling a few $20 manuals isn't worth losing what I love doing and the great store, staff, and customers we have.

This is MY opinion, which I am entitled to, whether you like it or not. So let's stop arguing about something that is most likely not going to change :wink: Agreed? K thanks.....

So, lets instead figure how we can bring this class to EVERYONE at a reasonable price....which is where an online version comes in. Anyone familiar with recording webinars and such? Anyone using them on a daily basis?

No need for the bickering and back and forth....It is what it is, and that is what it is :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom