Hog D1 Regulator Repair Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a comment on crescent wrenches (I'm a mechanic) I've seen my share of rounded off nuts/bolts because of them, but ... I have a couple of good ones in my tool box, and use them quite often, they are good quality, feel very precision like, and do not open up when pressure is applied ( LOL crescent wrench/precision .. is that an oxymoron?) I think anything found in the garden store home repair area is where they get their bad reputation .. also, (like many things) there is a technique to using them, to get all the play out before you start applying torque

Thank you for putting together the class and manual ..maybe someday I'll be in a position to use it :)

One other comment .. is there any tech rated diver does not want to tinker with his gear? :wink:

Hi,

Have you guys given any thought to how to organise teaching the course to those of us not in the USA??

Us folks down here in Australia are interested as well. No LDS keen to teach but I found 1 Tech workshop (servicing etc but no equipment sales) that would do a course for me to learn on my own regs after some persausion.

:coffee:

Yes, we are already looking at a video/webinar version. We want to teach the course a few times to get kinks worked out so we have a stellar version. This will take time even once we start the process of making the video...especially now that dive season is back upon us :wink: Stay tuned and patient, we are working on some cool stuff

One thing I found is you don't want the pin perfectly perpendicular to the radius. I set the pin angled slightly into the radius.

Unfortunately the problem with my current pin spanners is that the pin is angled slightly out and away from the radius ...

Just a comment on crescent wrenches (I'm a mechanic) I've seen my share of rounded off nuts/bolts because of them, but ... I have a couple of good ones in my tool box, and use them quite often

I use quality adjustable wrenches too. Like you I use wrenches with little to no "slop" in the adjustment, and dial the jaws down tight on the nuts/bolts before applying torque. I usually use the adjustable to "hold counter" when tightening/loosening. So far so good :wink:

Henrik

So how did it go??
It was a good day.

Following the old adage, "you pack it, you jump it" the guys are going to be hitting the water with their newly serviced regulators sometime in the next week or so and then they will be official - able to buy parts from the white market and work on their own gear.

None of the students had any regulator service training coming into the class so they really learned a lot. There were some bobbles - including a couple from me - which was to be expected for the first time running through a class. The divers put the time in ahead of the class to learn the background material which really helped and they did an excellent job. By the time we finished all of the regulators had been put back together and were working like new, just like is supposed to happen.

One of the benefits of the class is that they get access to the Hog Repair Station here on SB, where they can have direct contact with each other, the Hog instructors and the manufacturer in a low signal-to-noise environment, so they'll be in the neighborhood. I've invited them to stop by and introduce themselves.

I'll be spending some time this week fine tuning my material and presentation and then I'll be ready to do an even better job with the next class. Who else wants to learn how to work on their own regulators?

Will all the classes be local (to you)? I saw a post about a possible online/webinar version of the class. I'm curious how this will compare to a class taught by a person physically close to you....

Unfortunately, I can't justify a trip to learn to service my regs, so an online class, a local instructor, or sending my regs to someone else will be my options. Very curious to see how successful an online class will be.

Yes, please keep us updated on the online/webinar versions of this course, or if/when local instructors can be trained to teach us. It seems like there is a lot of interest in a remote version of this course.

why not just sell the book? If people fail to read the book it's their own damned fault. But if they want to service their regs and you actively refuse to distribute info that could help them...yea they are making a stupid decision to attempt without training still but if you have the ability to at least decrease said likely hood AND make money off of it....how can that be a bad thing?

I guess I'm just speaking for myself....I was a mechanic that went to med school to do orthopaedics...I'm at least a little familiar with wrenches and delicate moving parts :idk:

why not just sell the book? If people fail to read the book it's their own damned fault. But if they want to service their regs and you actively refuse to distribute info that could help them...yea they are making a stupid decision to attempt without training still but if you have the ability to at least decrease said likely hood AND make money off of it....how can that be a bad thing?

I guess I'm just speaking for myself....I was a mechanic that went to med school to do orthopaedics...I'm at least a little familiar with wrenches and delicate moving parts :idk:
Good grief - we're back to sophistries, again?

Not everything you need to know can come from a book. I know many folks don't want to hear this and I'm sorry for that but it's still true. For those that are willing to get the training, we have a program in place and we're trying to develop some options to make it more accessible. For those interested in squabbling, the MOF sandbox is always open, go play there. Please.

Didn't you apprentice as a mechanic? Do you think your internship and residencies were just hazing rituals? Almost everything I have ever learned was made better and easier with practical hands-on training, from learning to drive a car to learning to scuba diving to shooting a gun to cooking a steak to...wait for it...servicing a regulator. A book can teach you lots of stuff but until you get some real-world practice, until you exercise your hands along with your brain, you won't learn what you need to know.

As to abetting stupid decisions, my ethical superstructure is pretty flexible but too much range of motion is as bad as not enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom