Hog D1 Regulator Repair Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
That's right!! March 28th at Dive Right In Scuba there will be the first of many of the Hog D1 regulator Clinics. Class starts at 8am

If you own a Hog D1 regulator and hold a technical rating, join us and learn to do your own annual regulator servicing!

Please see this attachment for required tools. Sign up NOW and get your books enroute so you can have everything studied BEFORE class.

This class is no joke, if you come to class unprepared or without ALL of the tools, you will be asked to leave. There will be no refund, but you may come back for a future class. Regulator repair is very serious, and only those that take this serious are expected to show up. But that doesn't mean you won't have fun :D

PM me for pricing if you are interested

Class Outline and Tools List:
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=1810007&da=y

Glad to see the classes are getting started.

Any news of the official service manual for these regs?

Thanks,

Henrik

Any possibility for someone in MD to take the class online? I want to purchase HOG regs, but I want to make sure they are serviceable where I am. As far as I know there are NO dealers of HOG around here, so even though they are cheap and awesome they might turn out to be useless to me.

Any advice?

Any possibility for someone in MD to take the class online? I want to purchase HOG regs, but I want to make sure they are serviceable where I am. As far as I know there are NO dealers of HOG around here, so even though they are cheap and awesome they might turn out to be useless to me.

Any advice?

You never know what the future may hold :D

IN the mean time, you can always send them back to us for service. So, they would not be useless. There are more dealers popping up every day...you never know :wink:

This will be the first student level service course. We have been waiting to get it started and just excited as everyone else for this programs beginning!

We have written a repair manual for this. We are still trying to figure out what we will do with it. We do NOT want it to get copied and passed around. My tech who wrote it, put A LOT of time into it. We will keep you posted :wink:

Also, remember the repair class is not cost effective for everyone. Unless you have a lot of regs or like to tinker, it might not be cost effective for everyone.

Also, remember the repair class is not cost effective for everyone. Unless you have a lot of regs or like to tinker, it might not be cost effective for everyone.

Well, with shipping and such, it might be over a few years time. However, not having the ability to service my own wont hold me back as of now. Thanks for the info though. I look forward to seeing what you offer in the future regarding training.

-ddd

Great work Mike, but a.....
"6” Adjustable wrenches – you’ll need two"
May I politely suggest you recommend using box wrenches rather then adjustable wrenches.
No matter how well an adjustable wrench is adjusted as soon as you start applying torque it will open up a little. This can cause point loading at the points of the nut or bolt. Its very easy to strip or cause a burr to form when a bolt is point loaded. With chrome parts its a double problem of stressing the plating and it can chip.

A good quality box wrench will keep the load on the flats of the bolt and avoid point loading issues.

May I also recommend the use of plastic o-ring pics. Even soft brass will scratch sealing surfaces. Fingers and a little technique can remove most open o-rings.

I also did not see an IP gauge. A mag is also nice but not 100% needed.

Keep up the good work, its nice to see people forging new ground!

Last edited:
I understand you wanting to keep the full service manual under wraps. But do you know if Edge/HOG will publish such basics as IP specs, cracking pressure range, torque specs where needed (DIN connector, turret bolt) etc.?

Thanks,

Henrik

Last edited:
I understand you wanting to keep the full service manual under wraps. But do you know if Edge/HOG will publish such basics as IP specs, cracking pressure range, torque specs where needed (DIN connector) etc.?

Thanks,

Henrik

Not trying to keep anything under wraps, just not fully ready to release anything yet. This is something that my tech put together, and did a great job on (100+ pages). I want to ensure he gets his royalties for his work and this manual just doesn't get passed around in an electronic format...which I am sure everyone can agree is fair :wink:

Please everyone remember, this is a new program.....Patience is a virtue. We are working hard on this, to bring this to light and get it out there. Please just bear with us as we get it all released and get the kinks out. The first class is this weekend....and I guarantee that some changes will be made and the class will be modified. All good things always are :wink:

As for publishing those specs, I am not sure what the manufacturer has in mind. I am pretty sure he reads this forum though :wink:

Great work Mike, but a.....
"6” Adjustable wrenches – you’ll need two"
Are you Fing kidding me!!!! Come on man, what is with the dive industry and adjustable wrenches!!! They have NO place anywhere near a regulator, or anything else for that matter.

Nope-- Not kidding you. Yes, they do work, and work fairly well with a properly assembled and torqued regulator. We did not want to kill participants with enormous fees in tools (multiple sized wrenches) or make it mandatory that a guy could NOT use an Adjustable wrench. If you would prefer to NOT use an adjustable, you are more than free to do so. Sorry that it angers you so much.

You want a $160 dial torque wrench, spend the $50 on a good combo wrench set.
There are MANY ways to do something. I don't want $160 for the dial torque, I don't sell them. Not sure how a combo wrench set gets you torque though...please elaborate?

Leave the Fing crescent wrenches at home for putting the legs on your dinning room table.
Sorry for being a little um, edgy (lol, that was a pun) but I have seen more then one case of damage from freaking crescent wrenches.

May I also recommend the use of plastic o-ring pics. Even soft brass will scratch sealing surfaces. Fingers and a little technique can remove most open o-rings.

So you don't like adjustable wrenches, but you like plastic pics??

I also did not see an IP gauge. A mag is also nice but not 100% needed.

If you have such an issue with the class, you do not need to take it or you can 100% come up with your own course, get it approved to teach, and start teaching it.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but if you don't like it...it's your choice not to participate or take the class. Your attitude does nothing to help or strengthen the course, only to belittle our efforts and FULL thought that we have put into this(we meaning all those involved at HOG, D1 Course Instructors, etc).

Most of the tools list was actually assembled during the D1 Instructor Program at DEMA.

Sorry if this upset you that much.....Remember, we DID NOT write the course...we are only teaching it. And if adjustable wrenches get you this worked up, what are you like in a traffic jam :D

Any by the way...do you see ANYONE else even attempting to get this out to you or make this course available???

Just a few comments and one question...
Not trying to keep anything under wraps, just not fully ready to release anything yet. This is something that my tech put together, and did a great job on (100+ pages). I want to ensure he gets his royalties for his work and this manual just doesn't get passed around in an electronic format...which I am sure everyone can agree is fair :wink:
@Dive Right In Scuba: It sounds like your tech did a thorough job of putting together the service manual. I hope that he gets proper credit/compensation for the work. I was under the impression that the manufacturer was going to release a freely available (downloadable) official service manual containing all of the info requested by HenrikBP. It seems strange that the manual does not originate from Edge/HOG.

Just a suggestion, but you might want to specify which crowfoot wrenches you'll need. It may not be necessary to purchase an entire set if, for instance, you'll only be using an 18mm crowfoot wrench (attached to the 3/8"-drive torque wrench) to tighten the locking nut on the valve spindle of the second stage.

It is evident that one needs a pin spanner wrench (not a hook spanner wrench) to service the HOG first stage. I say this only because the HOG first stage pin "impressions" on the end cap and diaphragm clamp look very similar to the ones on the Apeks first stage, with which I am familiar. The aluminum-built pin spanner wrenches on the Scubatools.com website are not as sturdy as ones manufactured from forged steel. I service my Apeks first stage with a 40-42 mm DIN 1810 Form B pin spanner wrench (891-40; $15.95 each) sold by BloomerTool.com. The pin is roughly 1/8" tall x 1/8" in diameter. I own these and they are quality, German-made wrenches. Perhaps you could direct students on which size Elora wrench will work with the HOG first stages.

I guess that o-rings for LP reg hoses and HP hoses will be provided...as well as the small o-rings for the HP spool for the SPG.

Would Tribolube 71 be a suitable oxygen-compatible lubricant alternative to ChristoLube? I ask because DiveRiteInScuba.com appears to carry Tribolube 71 but not ChristoLube.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom